OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
one side is hollowed out like a bowl, the bottom is rounded like a nut, with a flute or groove running in the middle

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an Acorn style Plummet and a pretty nice one. The groove most likely went clear around it when first made. That indention looks like damage from what I can see in the picture. The two in the top of this picture are Acorn types.

Great find!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    812 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Thanks Guys! Grim, so your saying it was round to begin with and got cut in half and the bowl part is natural? Sorry for the bad pics or lack of angles, thats a super clean plow cut if it was, and the groove continues into the flat portion near the bowl. Oh I meant to say Southeast Ohio, near Athens. Thats an Awesome collection you got there!! Thanks!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys! Grim, so your saying it was round to begin with and got cut in half and the bowl part is natural? Sorry for the bad pics or lack of angles, thats a super clean plow cut if it was, and the groove continues into the flat portion near the bowl. Oh I meant to say Southeast Ohio, near Athens. Thats an Awesome collection you got there!! Thanks!

Yes, that is was round at one time with a groove all the way around it, and no, the hole isn't really natural, it's most likely damage from usage. I believe these Acorn types were Bola Stones.

Im in Scioto county. Never hunted close to Athens though I've heard about some great places to hunt up that way.

OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Yea theres still lots of mounds in that area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread