What's new

Soft stone artifact

snaps

Sr. Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
460
Reaction score
564
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Hey All,
This was found way out in a corn field in South west Ohio several years ago. Id say its sandstone, and probably too fragile for an atlatl weight? Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking
 

Attachments

  • sandstone top.webp
    sandstone top.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • sandstone bottom.webp
    sandstone bottom.webp
    977 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
I can't tell from pic,is the one side flat or hollowed out some.
 
one side is hollowed out like a bowl, the bottom is rounded like a nut, with a flute or groove running in the middle
 
It's an Acorn style Plummet and a pretty nice one. The groove most likely went clear around it when first made. That indention looks like damage from what I can see in the picture. The two in the top of this picture are Acorn types.

Great find!
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    569.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Thanks Guys! Grim, so your saying it was round to begin with and got cut in half and the bowl part is natural? Sorry for the bad pics or lack of angles, thats a super clean plow cut if it was, and the groove continues into the flat portion near the bowl. Oh I meant to say Southeast Ohio, near Athens. Thats an Awesome collection you got there!! Thanks!
 
Thanks Guys! Grim, so your saying it was round to begin with and got cut in half and the bowl part is natural? Sorry for the bad pics or lack of angles, thats a super clean plow cut if it was, and the groove continues into the flat portion near the bowl. Oh I meant to say Southeast Ohio, near Athens. Thats an Awesome collection you got there!! Thanks!

Yes, that is was round at one time with a groove all the way around it, and no, the hole isn't really natural, it's most likely damage from usage. I believe these Acorn types were Bola Stones.

Im in Scioto county. Never hunted close to Athens though I've heard about some great places to hunt up that way.
 
Yea theres still lots of mounds in that area
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom