Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Google Earth and look at the entire Northwest. See all of that green color? Those are trees...........BILLIONS and BILLIONS of trees.

Or take a flight over the Northwest............Trees for as far as the eye can see.

Since we've delved into logging now...

Do those trees provide the same benefits and harbor the entire suite of species that old growth forests harbor? You can cut down a biodiverse forest and replace it with a monoculture (southern pine plantations anyone?). Yes, both and undisturbed forest and the plantation have trees and look like forests, but the two aren't ecologically equal.

I'm not anti-logging and I believe in the MUSY policy, but part of MUSY should include off-limits areas to preserve biodiversity.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Do those trees provide the same benefits and harbor the entire suite of species that old growth forests harbor? You can cut down a biodiverse forest and replace it with a monoculture (southern pine plantations anyone?). Yes, both and undisturbed forest and the plantation have trees and look like forests, but the two aren't ecologically equal.

I'm not anti-logging and I believe in the MUSY policy, but part of MUSY should include off-limits areas to preserve biodiversity.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
A tree is a tree is a tree, except when its not a tree, :icon_biggrin:......excellent point.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, doesn't work that way. The government tells you what you can and can't do with your land. Try dumping toxic waste on your property and see how fast the government orders you to clean it up. Refuse and they'll condemn the land and take it from you. Just the way it is in this country.

I know it most certainly does work that way, but our property rights have been eroded.

And you can store toxic waste on private property so long as it is contained according to EPA regulation. In the U.S. they don't just dump toxic wastes into the ocean anymore (at least they shouldn'), and it's too expensive and too risky to rocket it into outer space. Where the heck did you think they put it?

Our rights should only end when they infringe on someone else's rights- it's a Free country. Or, at least it is supposed to be Free.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See? That is exactly what I'm talking about... FreeBirdTim says, "...dumping toxic waste..." and Duckshot misrepresents that as, "...store toxic waste..."

It's easy to win arguments when you just distort what people have said... but Duckshot says that I'm the one with the comprehension problem.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a guy down the road trying to capture methane from his dairy cows to make electricity. I don't think he knew what he was getting into. Now he has all the problems of both a dairy farm AND an electric company. But gooberment gave him other people's money to spend, so he took it. Now he wishes he could give it back. Can't be done.

But the biggest problem with "alternative energy" is that it is being force upon us. Solar and wind can work great so long as it is voluntary. They used wind to power ships for thousands of years before mechanical propellers came along, and wood fired stoves are really burning power supplied from air, soil, and sunlight.

I really wonder why they call it "alternative energy" though. Those that demand it's use don't seem to allow alternatives.

Not cows, but we have three large biological digesters at our wastewater treatment plant that produce methane gas. The gas is captured in the sealed "tanks" (largest is 70 ft in diameter) and the gas is used to power five microturbines that generate electricity. Uses the gas, helps offset the cost of running pumps and blowers in the other parts of the facility. Kind of clever.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy to win arguments when you just distort what people have said... but Duckshot says that I'm the one with the comprehension problem.

Cripes all Friday.

Was it anything like when Signal Line said he "read somplace" and you interpreted that the claim to have "read something someplace" was spreading misinformation?

You need to find a bigger hill to die on. The one you are fighting for seems a bit low relative to sea level.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Le'me ask you something Kantukeean. I say that the trees on private land belong to the landowner to do with as he pleases. Then FreeBirdTim compared cutting down trees to dumping toxic waste. Hardly a sound analogy.

You hear that?

Wooosh!

^That was the point you were trying to make flying right over your head.

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

I mentioned logging, coal mining, and drilling for oil, because they share a common theme. And you missed the entire point.

So let me put this in very basic terms..............If you care about the PLANET, stop shipping your pollution to other nations, then claiming it is "environmentally friendly". It's NOT. If you really cared about the environment, you would support MORE logging, mining, and drilling here at home where we have the strictest law in the world.

But heck..........As long as you can't see it anymore, and if it makes you "feel" good, then it must be good for the planet. Right?

OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to the topic of trees and forest, we have all been duped.
over 96% of the redwoods in California have been logged
those forest in Oregon, the home of environmentalist and tree huggers, have been clear cut, those trees you see as you drive through Oregon do not extend but a mile off the highway, then it is all clear cut.
don’t even get me started on the Amazonian rain forest.

I live in Oregon...and you're full of it.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I live in Oregon...and you're full of it.
Maybe you should read my post more closely, I am stating a FACT , I was there and that is what I saw, you being from Oregon explains a lot, lol

OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because you disagree with me, doesn't mean you have to insult me.

I was born and raised in Oregon...we still have some of the biggest Ponderosa pine and Douglas fir forests on the West coast. Driving through Oregon and just observing a small piece of it makes you an expert? Maybe an expert of B.S. Quit making a fool of yourself.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Play nice. When two people disagree just saying "You're Wrong!" is not a logical argument.

And there is no need to get offended because somebody disagrees with you. Fetching rulers and dropping trousers isn't going to persuade anybody that you know what you are talking about.

I know because I have tried it many times. Did not work, not even once.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? I have been in Oregon since 1969 (4 years old) and can factually state... BS! Literally in my backyard is this. 957,590 acres. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Rivers_National_Forest

And...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmiopsis_Wilderness. Sure we are missing trees, they burned up because of forestry miss management!

The many hikers, mushroom pickers and hunters that get lost around here know differently.
We have so damn many trees....

Hey T.C.! I can, and do... drive from the coast to Klamath Falls...200 miles of FOREST!!! VERY hard to find a clear cut!!
So... WTF?
:icon_scratch:

I'm from Oregon not Portland.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just because you disagree with me, doesn't mean you have to insult me.

I was born and raised in Oregon...we still have some of the biggest Ponderosa pine and Douglas fir forests on the West coast. Driving through Oregon and just observing a small piece of it makes you an expert? Maybe an expert of B.S. Quit making a fool of yourself.
No insult against you, just that anyone would defend their home state, it is whats natural, that is what I was referring to. It is the same in California, people here want to be seen as progressive, but hide the examples which are contrary.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey T.C.! I can, and do... drive from the coast to Klamath Falls...200 miles of FOREST!!! VERY hard to find a clear cut!!
So... WTF?

So......no clear cutting anywhere in Oregon?, yea I believe that, lol

OP
OP
T.C.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... WTF?

Hey, Vik, I know where you are from. I was addressing AlanM

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Oregon, within the Northwest Forest Plan area, there are 7.1 million acres of National Forests managed by the U.S. Forest Service and 2.6 million acres of public land managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

WTF? Not clear cutting fast enough!!

laughing11.gif

Sure there are a few clear cuts, but none of them are included in thee (above) 7.1 + million acres.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Vik, I know where you are from. I was addressing AlanM

I know I was just stating the fact of... TREES
TREES Everywhere.....
I get it, I'm on your side. Damn... the multiple people that get lost... should be able to find a clear cut for the chopper... right? I'm on a search and rescue team and many...many city folk go missing some never to be found ... it's called "wilderness"

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread