What's new

Sold a wee bit-o-silver today.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
I took advantage of the uptick in silver prices and unloaded some junk silver. $1000FV of 40% halves netted me $5400 after a mean steak and egg breakfast with biscuits and "Red-eye" gravy. I felt like that was a pretty good return on investment.
Cheers, Have a safe Holiday, Jim
 
Upvote 0
Nice sale!!What's red eye gravy? hot sauce?
 
RIcoinhunter said:
Nice sale!!What's red eye gravy? hot sauce?
red eye gravy is one of those southern things.....very good too :icon_thumright:
 
Red-eye gravy is a thin sauce often seen in the cuisine of the Southern United States and associated with the country ham of that region. Other names for this sauce include poor man's gravy, bird-eye gravy, bottom sop and red ham gravy. The gravy is made from the drippings of pan-fried country ham, bacon, or other pork, sometimes mixed with black coffee. The same drippings, when mixed with flour, make the flavoring for a white gravy. Red-eye gravy is often served over ham, cornbread, grits, or biscuits.
 
Wow. you have $1000 FV in 40%'s? How long did it take to save up that many. That's a lot.
 
I have been at this for 3 years. I can still remember getting bags with 100s of silver coins in them. When I first got started a "Dream Box" had at least 200 silvers in it. Those dream boxes are very scarce now. My biggest competitor right now sits on the other side of the glass at the bank. Tellers in my area are all aware of silver now. When we as a group asked for halves, the tellers finally caught on.
I used to take road trips and come back with 100s upon 100s of silver coins. I was staying at nice motels and still found enough silver to pay my expenses. Now, I am considering putting my big a$$ on a Moped. That would be a youtube hit trying to carry halves and searching while riding.. Cheers, Jim
 
Nice sale and gotta love the old red eye gravy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH..Miner
 
silvercop said:
RIcoinhunter said:
Nice sale!!What's red eye gravy? hot sauce?
red eye gravy is one of those southern things.....very good too :icon_thumright:
Would't that be a "southern thang" :laughing9: And for the record... nice sale! :thumbsup:
 
coolpix9 said:
I have been at this for 3 years. I can still remember getting bags with 100s of silver coins in them. When I first got started a "Dream Box" had at least 200 silvers in it. Those dream boxes are very scarce now. My biggest competitor right now sits on the other side of the glass at the bank. Tellers in my area are all aware of silver now. When we as a group asked for halves, the tellers finally caught on.
I used to take road trips and come back with 100s upon 100s of silver coins. I was staying at nice motels and still found enough silver to pay my expenses. Now, I am considering putting my big a$$ on a Moped. That would be a youtube hit trying to carry halves and searching while riding.. Cheers, Jim
i been doing boxes about that long too. i can even remember when folks here used to give reports on how many skunk rolls they got because almost every roll contained a keeper. those were good and fun times. sad to say i think it is all over. at least until silver drops back under 15.00/oz. i guess you remember all those pics that LJ used to post of her insane finds. have not seen here around here in about a year so i guess that says something in itself. i used to take pics of my finds but they have been so meager it is just not worth getting the camera out. speaking of road trips me and the wife took one about 3 years ago and came home with over 300 keepers. never had another road trip that compaired to that. sure was fun.
 
Ah the good old silver days. It is amazing how fast it all got sucked up in a year. I remember when that Ohio company started pulling all the copper from the cents. Skunk penny boxes were everywhere. I think in our case all the hunters did it. I have a theory that deep in the Fed vaults lies a lot of silver but it has been buried by us searching large quantities. If someone could come in and grab a quick $1,000,000 in halves in your area and move it far away - to another Federal Reserve bank, I bet some silver would reappear. Just a thought. Also if you could ever get all the searchers in your area to act in unison it might also work for a while. The problem is that when your supplier finally runs out of halves they have to get them from the Fed bank that has received them from the supplier you overloaded with your dumps. It is a tough cycle to break...

Maine_Jim
 
maine_Jim said:
Ah the good old silver days. It is amazing how fast it all got sucked up in a year. I remember when that Ohio company started pulling all the copper from the cents. Skunk penny boxes were everywhere. I think in our case all the hunters did it. I have a theory that deep in the Fed vaults lies a lot of silver but it has been buried by us searching large quantities. If someone could come in and grab a quick $1,000,000 in halves in your area and move it far away - to another Federal Reserve bank, I bet some silver would reappear. Just a thought. Also if you could ever get all the searchers in your area to act in unison it might also work for a while. The problem is that when your supplier finally runs out of halves they have to get them from the Fed bank that has received them from the supplier you overloaded with your dumps. It is a tough cycle to break...

Maine_Jim

It seems like around here when they run out of halves, they load the boxes up with 1995-6-8.

Joad
 
I've seen a couple of those boxes but it has been over a year. I almost forgot about them. I like it when you get a box that you know was buried deep and you just lucked out and got it. I had one last month that was filled with really dirty coins that looked like they went through a fire. Within that box was 24 40%. Don't see many of those anymore around here...

Maine_Jim
 
I got paid today myself Jim, though I can't wait till I have 1K FV so my check is just over 1K- keeps the game alive a little longer. HH Mark
 
Nice return Coolpix 9.

I love gravy, especially with homemade bisquits! And cornbread with field peas plus a spot o' greens and sweet potato pie. Oh I miss mama's cookin'.

apush :read2: (a southern gal--with a really southern accent--who loves CRH).
 
Mmmmmmm..... Red-eye gravy. Reminds me of my dear-old grandma who passed away last year at 90 years old. She always kept a bucket of Lard in her cabinet and one time I went to her house she had two big hog heads in a pot (she called the pot a "steer") cooking them to make "head cheese" (aka Souse).

Sorry to get off topic.... Nice turning $1000 into $5400....

HH,
Legend
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom