✅ SOLVED Solid Brass - 2.25" in diameter at base

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this a couple of weeks ago at a location where my detecting buddy and I have found many pieces of iron and brass pieces of horse tack, buckles and other items. The site is not mentioned in any of our local history books and no one seems to know the reason why so many people obviously visited there in the late 1800s and early 1900s. We've only found two coins there after probably 12-14 hours of hunting. He found an 1893 Indian Head Cent at 4" and I found a 1914-S Barber half dollar at about 9" No modern coins at all.
This item is made of solid, heavy brass and its circular base is 2.25" in diameter. I found it with my Ace 250 just a few feet away from where my friend dug 21 pieces of horse tack and a few other unidentified iron and brass objects.
~Texas Jay

Central Texas Treasure Club

PICT0014.JPGPICT0015.JPG

Impeller for a pump?

Upvote 0
perhaps the stopper from a bathroom sink. the taper on the sides looks familiar.

Upvote 0
perhaps the stopper from a bathroom sink. the taper on the sides looks familiar.

It's very heavy for it's size. I've never seen a sink stopper that was that large or heavy.

Upvote 0
Looks like the valve from a check valve. The flat part ,the top, is the seat which is tapered slightly. I've seen these in compressors, pumps, and the intakes of larger hit&miss engines.

Upvote 0
the holes in it would rule out a sink stopper. kind of built like a plunger in a wheel cylinder. cleaned up closer pics would help.

Upvote 0
The consensus is that it's part of foot or check valve. Today, I received a message on Facebook from a man who used to work with that kind of equipment and he confirmed that it's what most of you thought it was so I'm marking this mystery "Solved". Thanks to everyone who helped figure it out.
~Texas Jay

Central Texas Treasure Club

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back