✅ SOLVED Solved: Metal Tree? Will I kill the tree if I remove it?

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now know what it is... Should I take it out of the tree or because it hasn't killed the tree, just leave it in there?
(last photo) #11
Early solve by Creskol, it is a Horse Hame, another new term I had to google to understand! Thanks for making me smarter! :laughing7:

This item is growing inside a tree, in the last photo I blotted out the background for what I thought would be a more clear photo. I don't know what it is, but it has been in the tree for many years. If I knew what it was, I could tell how old the tree might be! LOL

this is about 16 inches long, I am just guessing; I know it is longer than a ruler or at least I think it is! LOL Never been too good at guessing sizes.

I can take a tape measure out to the tree, if needed. Thanks for looking. Cindy

Attachments

• Trail Green Blg 2.JPG
    Trail Green Blg 2.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 664
  • Trail Green Blg 2-1.JPG
    Trail Green Blg 2-1.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 691
  • Draft_Horse_Harness_Parts.jpg
    Draft_Horse_Harness_Parts.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 5,033
  • Early-Horse-Hame(1).jpg
    Early-Horse-Hame(1).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 686
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Metal Tree?

creskol said:
It's a horse hame
hmmm, another new word for this city girl! I will have to google it to see what it is used for! Thank you so much!!!!

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Metal Tree? Will I kill the tree if I remove it?

I know know what it is... Should I take it out of the tree or because it hasn't killed the tree, just leave it in there?

It's not doing the tree any good. BUT, if you do a lot of damage to the inner bark neither will removing it. Do it carefully and apply pitch or roofing tar over the wound (to keep out bugs & opportunistic fungus, etc.) and, probably, the tree will recover. If it looks like you have to take more than 1/4 of the tree's circumference of bark off I'd say leave it be.

Would you rather have the hame or the tree?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY) said:
I know know what it is... Should I take it out of the tree or because it hasn't killed the tree, just leave it in there?

It's not doing the tree any good. BUT, if you do a lot of damage to the inner bark neither will removing it. Do it carefully and apply pitch or roofing tar over the wound (to keep out bugs & opportunistic fungus, etc.) and, probably, the tree will recover. If it looks like you have to take more than 1/4 of the tree's circumference of bark off I'd say leave it be.

Would you rather have the hame or the tree?
I would rather have A Tree than a hame, I respect nature and besides this may be the only place on earth that has a hame tree!
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I know nothing about trees so I appreciate you taking the time to share. Thanks again! Cindy

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

cdsieg said:
Early solve by Creskol, it is a Horse Hame, another new term I had to google to understand! Thanks for making me smarter! :laughing7:
Creskol will make you smarter. :read2:

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
While detecting in a wooded area around a Confederate camp area back in October, 2007, I happened upon this oddity stuck in a huge old live-oak tree. Rather than to destroy the tree, I just left it there. Do you suppose that it could be a sword handle?

Look how big the scar area around it is.

Attachments

• sword.jpg
    sword.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

bigcypresshunter said:
cdsieg said:
Creskol will make you smarter. :read2:

LoL .. :icon_sunny: Big C is the scholar around here! :read2: In all actuality, Creskol is a poison .. :whip2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol said:
While detecting in a wooded area around a Confederate camp area back in October, 2007, I happened upon this oddity stuck in a huge old live-oak tree. Rather than to destroy the tree, I just left it there. Do you suppose that it could be a sword handle?

Look how big the scar area around it is.

Good for you creskol, I think that is really cool that you chose to spare the tree too!

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cindy, this is interesting & sad. You may have already seen it elsewhere.

409038_10150585482447198_181467227197_9311099_1911399123_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You know what? Im not so sure thats a WWI era bicycle. :icon_scratch: Most of this type of stuff that circulates around the internet is just made up to play on peoples emotions. Over 90% of the crap that circulates e-mails is completely fictional.

Where did you get that picture River Rat? Did someone send it in an email?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I can take a pic tommorrow. I actually have an oak tree that grew with a chainlink fence down the center in less than 10 years in the backyard here where i reside..

Oh well. It sa a very cool pic anyway. :icon_thumright: We had a member that used a bicycle wheel in a tree as an avatar. Remember?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions