What's new

Solved my little mystery, put that knowledge to good use and found some stuff (p

cottonjim

Full Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
210
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
A few weeks ago while I was playing around with my Ace in my backyard, I got a signal at 6" at dug up the top of a fence post. I say top because I dug down another 6-8 inches or so and the post kept going. I gave up unearthing the post and filled my hole back in. A few days later while searching in the opposite corner of my backyard, I found another one. This had me very curious as to why fence posts would be driven so far into the ground in my yard. I was doing a little research on what "used" to be where my house stands, I am in the city limits now but the property wasn't 100 years ago. Turns out, when the city was determining lot lines, to mark the lot's, they drove fence posts into the ground and they now use locater's to find them.
My sister in law just bought a new house in town and she asked me for help putting up a new chain link fence in her back yard for her kids. I agreed and went over to the house with my father in law. While we were surveying the situation, he said, it would sure be nice to be able to find the lot lines to see exactly where the fence can go. UREKA, "I'll be right back" I ran home and grabbed the Ace and went to work. We had the lot lines marked out in no time. I did dig a few signals that weren't iron, but when the Ace makes that sweet "Bing Bing" I just had to.
I found some nails, 51 cents in clad (nothing older than 1995) and a cool little marble popped outa one of my holes. Thanks for looking and HH.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00378_edited.webp
    DSC00378_edited.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC00379_edited.webp
    DSC00379_edited.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 527
Upvote 0
Wow, fence posts for survey markers. What does that sound like with the 250. Are your ears ok? :D Nice collateral finds.

HH.
 
Way to impress your father-in-law! :D
Bet your wife won't get no sympathy now when she complains about all the time you spend with your MD ;)
 
Kilika said:
Way to impress your father-in-law! :D
Bet your wife won't get no sympathy now when she complains about all the time you spend with your MD ;)

Best part is that my little boys love doing it "with" me so she doesn't say a word when she sees me heading for the door with the MD in hand and two little boys afoot. I'm gonna end up buying them each one within the year I suppose.
 
Sheldius said:
Wow, fence posts for survey markers. What does that sound like with the 250. Are your ears ok? :D Nice collateral finds.

HH.

I don't wear the headphones cause I'm deaf in 1 ear (ATV wreck, and not the one in my avatar) and I like to hear what is going on around me while I am MD'ing but it was plenty loud for everyone to hear :)
 
Thats cool Jim, and some change to boot. One of these days your gonna go look for something for someone and we will read about the next millionaire finding his loot with an ACE. ;D TMAN...
 
Kilika said:
Way to impress your father-in-law! :D
Bet your wife won't get no sympathy now when she complains about all the time you spend with your MD ;)

And the money you saved him by not having to hire a surveyor to find the posts...Great job there!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom