What's new

Solved! Possible spear tip?

Digaplug

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
34
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this in a drawer for a few years now. I thought it looked like a spear tip, but I don't know a whole lot about native american history.
I live in East TN and a few years ago, I had some gravel brought in for my drive way.
My son found this in the new rocks.
It is metal, sticks to a magnet.
It weighs 76 grams.
It is 40 mm long, and 31 mm wide.
It was bigger at some point, but it is broken on both ends.
It has readed edges on both sides, as if it might have been worked like an arrow head or was tied to something. The marks kinda look like a serated edge.
Seems kinda heavy for a spear tip though.
Any thoughts?
Thanks for looking, HH.
 

Attachments

  • spear tip.webp
    spear tip.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 333
  • Spear tip weight.webp
    Spear tip weight.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Spear tip length.webp
    Spear tip length.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Spear tip width1.webp
    Spear tip width1.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 330
  • Spear tip Broken end 1.webp
    Spear tip Broken end 1.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 342
  • Spear tip broken end 2.webp
    Spear tip broken end 2.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 320
  • Spear tip readed edge.webp
    Spear tip readed edge.webp
    44 KB · Views: 336
Re: Possible spear tip?

It looks like a piece of cast iron that was broke off of something. I think the marks on the edges are where the mold seams were ground off.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Possible spear tip?

Fantastic picture taking! :thumbsup:

Welcome to Treasurenet!
Sorry, I have no idea what it might be...

Best,
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Re: Possible spear tip?

Kinda looks like a springtooth tip off of a cultivator to me. They do break off in tight/rocky ground on the modern type used today, just a guess.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Possible spear tip?

I thought about springtooth tip, but aren't they made from steel rather than cast iron? Wouldn't cast iron be quite fragile in comparison? Just wondering.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Possible spear tip?

Thanks for the compliment Scott.

I kind of thought it was way too heavy to be a spear tip, but there is no uniformity to the markings on the sides
It looks better in the pic than it does live.
Now that I've read the posts, I think it might be the top of a fence. That would make a lot of sense.
That would be a heavy fence.
Thanks to all for the input.

HH
Dig
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom