Some arrowheads from Bureau County, Illinois

BobTheBaitFish

Jul 13, 2007
Highland, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett CXII
Knives and projectile points found by my father as a boy growing up on a farm along Masters Creek near the town of Ohio, Bureau County, Illinois. The fantastic dovetail was found by my grandfather. Grand father didn't have any interest in arrowheads, but my dad did so he got off the tractor, picked it up and tossed it into the tool box that road on the tractor. Several days later he remembered he found the point and told my dad about it. Some how it survived.

Attachments

• 08aa.jpg
    08aa.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 820
  • 08a.jpg
    08a.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,272
  • 08b.jpg
    08b.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 533
  • 08c.jpg
    08c.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 0

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
BobTheBaitFish said:
Knives and projectile points found by my father as a boy growing up on a farm along Masters Creek near the town of Ohio, Bureau County, Illinois. The fantastic dovetail was found by my grandfather. Grand father didn't have any interest in arrowheads, but my dad did so he got off the tractor, picked it up and tossed it into the tool box that road on the tractor. Several days later he remembered he found the point and told my dad about it. Some how it survived.
[/quote
Wow!! Super Dovetail,as nice as I,ve seen ;D Very nice collection as well. Thanks for sharing
Jeff

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
:)That big white Dove tail is a St. Charles and one of the nicest examples I have seen.
Condition is superb and that with the length makes it quite valuable. Very Nice!

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nice artifacts bob. There's one in there that's very intriguing. Any way I could get a closer look at the one in the second pic, bottom row, middle point? Is the base busted that way, or it is complete?

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, So glad your Grand-father picked it up.
I found a farmers wrench in a plowed field & returned
it to him, & he gave me an 'arrowhead' he had picked up.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
BobTheBaitFish

BobTheBaitFish

Jul 13, 2007
Highland, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett CXII
We just moved and I have the points in storage, but I'll see about getting a better picture of it for you this weekend. As I recall the base is bifurcated intentially and not damaged.

Mike

OP
OP
BobTheBaitFish

BobTheBaitFish

Jul 13, 2007
Highland, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett CXII
Additional pictures.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 483
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 460
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 400
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 352

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Now that is one funky point. I like it! Looks like maybe a Hardin that they weren't sure what to do with? I'm not even sure it's as much an afterthought of the knapper, could be a "modified" piece. No way that's a plow ding that broke out funny? That's an interesting piece. Those are the best finds, they always make you look closer and think harder.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
The point with the bifuricated base fits the description of a Cossatot River from the early Archaic period. Found a little more east and it would fit into the Maccorkle family.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It's not a Coss or a MacCorkle. Cossattot River is the predecesor to the Calf Creek and actually should be included in that complex. Justice puts Coss in with the MacCorkle in his publication, but he's mistaken. They are completely different point types, different cultural affiliation.

It looks to me like an early Archaic point that they fiddled with, perhap Hardin.

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Beautiful Dove! You've got a nice collection. That broken Hardin would have been a monster! Still very nice. Definitely post some more pics when you get time.

Good luck!

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions