What's new

Some Awesome Relics

PA Sleuth

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
260
Reaction score
708
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I enjoy finding coins more than anything else, I was ecstatic to find these items:

A monogrammed silver thimble

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468771623.790136.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468771651.442431.webp

The largest crotal bell I have ever found. It has JS and 2 on the very bottom (monogrammed for the owner or the manufacturer?):

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468771742.966922.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468771753.955760.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468771765.345391.webp

Lastly, an octagonal barrel, believe percussion cap, pocket pistol. There are no makers marks that I can find. Anyone with more information on this gun, I would gladly welcome it:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468771906.282569.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468771916.485956.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468771928.511293.webp

Thanks for looking, happy hunting.
 
Upvote 44
Finding a silver thimble is at the top of my wish list and have always loved finding Crotal bells. Those two finds alone make your hunt a total success. Congrays!!
 
That is cool I have many hunts with no silver Id be happy to put those in my display case that gun barrel is awesome .I have a piece of a bell exactly the same as yours now I know what it is cool Great Job Thanks for sharing your finds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Great finds! I'd give my eye teeth to find a crotal bell that big and beautiful, lol.
 
Nice finds. A silver thimble is way harder to find than most US silver. At least for me anyway. I finally found one recently:occasion14:
 
Facebook has identified the pistol as an 18th century Queen Anne cannon barrel boot pistol!
 
Congrats on the silver thimble and other nice finds
 
Its a makers mark on the Crotal Bell, you might be able to pin it down

PS. 2 is the size.
 
Last edited:
J S ---Joseph Shipman born 1779---died 1859----------asterisk in each petal of the design "petal bell "----shipmans foundry was formed in 1801 in New Britain Conn.-----bells marked with I S are older then J S -----don't know when he closed up shop, but I would guess your petal bell to be between 1825 and 1850----cool :occasion14:
 
J S ---Joseph Shipman born 1779---died 1859----------asterisk in each petal of the design "petal bell "----shipmans foundry was formed in 1801 in New Britain Conn.-----bells marked with I S are older then J S -----don't know when he closed up shop, but I would guess your petal bell to be between 1825 and 1850----cool :occasion14:

There you go, awesome. Thanks
 
Those are some great relics. Crotal bells and thimbles are always nice finds in my book.
 
all major kick butt treeeeasure
 
Very nice thimble, and that crotal bell is ridiculously cool, one of the nicest I've seen.
 
First, congrats on some great finds.

Excuse my ignorance on the Crotal Bell. Are they only usually found in the East, or could they also be found in the Midwest where I live?
 
First, congrats on some great finds.

Excuse my ignorance on the Crotal Bell. Are they only usually found in the East, or could they also be found in the Midwest where I live?

They are essentially sleigh bells from my understanding, so they should be everywhere that weather permits
 
Excellent coin and relic hunt! The crotal bell is always fun to dig and the gun part is killer (no pun intended). :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom