Some Bone Beads For MAMucker And Others

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAMucker asked to see some Bone Beads so I'll post some of mine and anybody else with some please post as well.

The first picture has Bone Beads in the middle and on the right and Antler Drifts on the left. From the Hardin Village site and X-Bill Wertz collection.

The second picture contains a lot of Bone Beads in the circular patterns along with lots of other pieces. All personal finds, Scioto county Ohio.

The third picture is also personal finds and from the same site as pic #2. Lots of Bone Beads in the draping patterns.

Picture four is from the Goldcamp Site is Lawrence county Ohio and the entire right side are Bone Beads or broken Flutes. There are some Bone Beads throughout the tray. All personal finds.

Picture five is a close up of picture two.

Picture red six are all personal finds from the Hardin Village Site in Greenup county Kentucky. Several Bone Beads in the center of the tray.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    628.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    644.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    790.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    958.3 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your collections always amaze me I enjoy seeing great pieces of history ......I think you could prob start a museum that would have more artifacts than most I have been to. Do you keep them all displayed to see in a room in your house or just stack your cases up due to not having the room ?

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those last two pictures didn't load right so here they are again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    841.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    843.6 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your collections always amaze me I enjoy seeing great pieces of history ......I think you could prob start a museum that would have more artifacts than most I have been to. Do you keep them all displayed to see in a room in your house or just stack your cases up due to not having the room ?

Thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate that.

I display quite a bit of it.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Lord! I’ll be a while studying this post, so don’t wait up for my comments.
Thank you for posting these.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Lord! I’ll be a while studying this post, so don’t wait up for my comments.
Thank you for posting these.

Take your time. If you need close ups of any just let me know. Most of them you can still see the cut marks where they were scored and snapped. Some are polished so well that those are all gone.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
You’ve been very busy...
That is a fine collection of exquisite Bone Beads. The photos are perfect.

I notice also the points in the frames. Do these represent the likely age or time period of the bone artifacts?

I can see the score-marks as you pointed out. Beautiful Bone Beads!
And not just beads,..I think you just about completed a collection of every bone-type of NA Artifact. The displays are outstanding.

My only question is, what do you have against broken clay pipe stems?
(Ha ha!)

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some great animal tooth pendants (Canine, Bear, Dear) there and if I am correct, a Big Cat Claw? (Very cool)
Drift antlers (wish I new how they used them)

Bone: Awls, Needles, Ishi-Antler Tips (Wow!), Fish Hooks, Fish Vertebrae, a Button, Gorget (what did I miss?)

And the Black Stone Pendants for the Exclamation Point!!!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
You have put together a truly Museum-Quality display.
I have only seen one other display that comes close, hanging on the walls of the Catamaran Hotel in San Diego.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the kind words about my collection. I guess I should have mentioned the age of these pieces. These are from the Ft Ancient Culture that located their villages along the Ohio River in both Ohio and Kentucky with an age of 950 AD to 1650 AD on most of my local sites. At one time I had 6 Village Sites within 20 minutes in any direction of my house that I could hunt. I lost them all about 8 to 10 years ago and finally got 2 of them back here recently. This culture became my passion after I found my first few Beads.

Here's a few more pictures of some of highly polished Bone Beads.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 35

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, you’re on a great site. I was leaning towards Madison Point designation on all the Triangles. But, I can see the nuances of the Fort Ancient Points. At first I didn’t notice the slight concave blade edges, the long fine tips and the telltale serrations on some of them. Excellent and true Arrowheads. Seems they were utilizing them right up until the Contact and Historic Periods.

The polished beads are really fine artifacts. They all are. I noticed one trade bead (cobalt blue glass). Evidence that the contact period trade items made it’s way onto those site?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions