What's new

Some Civil War Bullets that need ID-ing

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang,
Below are a few CW bullets. I think I know some of them, but am not sure. If you need the diameter of any, let me know, and I'll post it with a caliper. I figured most of you CW bullet experts could breeze through this without knowing the diameter. :laughing7: Thanks in advance for the help. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CWBullets1.webp
    CWBullets1.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 383
  • CWBullets2.webp
    CWBullets2.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 365
  • CWBullets3.webp
    CWBullets3.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 446
  • CWBullets4.webp
    CWBullets4.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 443
1: Burnside .54 Carbine, unfired, corroded by gunpowder from its brass casing (US)
2: Burnside .54 Carbine, scarcer "dish-base" bullet, unfired, corroded by gunpowder from its brass casing (US)
3: Sharps .52 Rifle/Carbine "New-Model" bullet, unfired (US)
4: Sharps .52 Rifle/Carbine, unfired (US)
5: Uncertain due to serious corrosion, may be a Burnside, unfired
6: Uncertain, perhaps carved by a soldier, or fired, need diameter measurement
7: Possibly Colt .44 Dragoon Revolver bullet made by Watervliet Arsenal, need diameter measurement
8: Smith .50 Carbine (US)
9: Williams .58 "Bore-cleaner bullet" Type 3 (the mid-1863-&-later version), missing its base-insert disc (US)
10: Colt .44 "New Model" bullet for Army Revolver, fired (US)
11: Colt .36 for Navy Revolver, fired, has loading-lever imprint on nose (US)
12: same as #10, fired (US)
13: Colt "Old-Model" .36 or .31-caliber, with casting-sprue still on its nose, unfired, (US), need diameter measurement.
 
Upvote 0
This is what I think you have...
1-Burnside
2-Dish base Burnside
3-Sharps long
4-Sharps carbine
5-Burnside
6-cut off 3 ringer
7-Colt
8-Sharps and Hankins
9-Williams cleaner
10,11,12,13 I think are colt variants
 
Upvote 0
The only one we have different is 8. I thought Smith at first too but the nose looks a little short.


TheCannonballGuy said:
1: Burnside .54 Carbine, unfired, corroded by gunpowder from its brass casing (US)
2: Burnside .54 Carbine, scarcer "dish-base" bullet, unfired, corroded by gunpowder from its brass casing (US)
3: Sharps .52 Rifle/Carbine "New-Model" bullet, unfired (US)
4: Sharps .52 Rifle/Carbine, unfired (US)
5: Uncertain due to serious corrosion, may be a Burnside, unfired
6: Uncertain, perhaps carved by a soldier, or fired, need diameter measurement
7: Possibly Colt .44 Dragoon Revolver bullet made by Watervliet Arsenal, need diameter measurement
8: Smith .50 Carbine (US)
9: Williams .58 "Bore-cleaner bullet" Type 3 (the mid-1863-&-later version), missing its base-insert disc (US)
10: Colt .44 "New Model" bullet for Army Revolver, fired (US)
11: Colt .36 for Navy Revolver, fired, has loading-lever imprint on nose (US)
12: same as #10, fired (US)
13: Colt "Old-Model" .36 or .31-caliber, with casting-sprue still on its nose, unfired, (US), need diameter measurement.
 
Upvote 0
Wow, thanks so much! Are any of these 'special' or just run of the mill CW bullets? I've taken a few pics of the ones in question, and will post them as I photograph them. Here's #5:
 

Attachments

  • Bullet#5Weight.webp
    Bullet#5Weight.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Bullet#5Height.webp
    Bullet#5Height.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 290
  • Bullet#5Diameter.webp
    Bullet#5Diameter.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
Here's bullet #6
 

Attachments

  • Bullet#6Height.webp
    Bullet#6Height.webp
    70.6 KB · Views: 351
  • Bullet#6Diameter.webp
    Bullet#6Diameter.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0
Here's #7
 

Attachments

  • Bullet#7Diameter.webp
    Bullet#7Diameter.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom