✅ SOLVED Some copper whatzits from Washington, DC

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting today high up along the Potomac above Chain Bridge, where, as I was told by numerous residents in the neighborhood, Union soldiers defended the District with cannons and camped there. I don't think I found anything CW-era, but I found some mystifying copper objects.

There are these objects, which I found close to each other in separate holes. I later realized the smaller piece slides onto the wand-like piece, but I'm not certain they belong together, though they are both copper (bronze maybe?). What the heck are they?

wand1.jpg wand2.jpg wndhdl1.jpg wndhdl2.jpg wndhdltgthr.jpg

Then there's this screw-type thing, also of copper or bronze, with an old-timey number 2 on top.

screw1.jpg screw2.jpg screw3.jpg

Lastly, there's this doohickey, which also seems to be copper (non-magnetic). The middle tab part is flexible. Any ideas?

thing1.jpg thing2.jpg

Knowing the people who frequent here, I'm sure I'll have my answers within the hour. Thanks for looking!

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
First and second item is to hold phone line to your house .
The threaded item is split bolt wire clamp.
Last item is a reed from a squeeze box or similar instrument.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bottom item looks like a musical reed; perhaps for an accordion or the likes. Look on it to see if you see what 'note' it is. Most are imprinted. Daddy never sleeps at night.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
1st one... clamps to a phone wire and the loop hooks over a porcelin knob, on a bracket, attached to a building or house. Ive removed and replaced hundreds of these when doing siding jobs.

2nd one.... usually used for attaching a ground wire or splicing a ground wire. The two wires would be placed in the slot, then a nut (missing) would be screwed on and tightened, clamping the two wires together.

3rd one....Ive seen, but......file not found..... if you know what I mean ?

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey rastinirv,

Welcome to the TNet, and thanks for showing us your finds. How long is that whisk, egg dipper looking thing?

7603957258_cbf33a8042_z.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rastinirv,

Welcome to the TNet, and thanks for showing us your finds. How long is that whisk, egg dipper looking thing?

About 7 inches. There seems to be a consensus that it's a phone-line threader. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to you all for the quick answers! You all continue to amaze me.

Upvote 0

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
the phone wire clamp is typically called a p-clamp. They are normally steel, but some old ones were copper. Copper also used in a high corrosion area such as New Orleans (where I found plenty after Katrina) corrosion being from a sea or salt water environment.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this could maybe potentially be from the Civil War era? A lonely soldier ruefully playing his harmonium?

Certainly the right era . . . up to modern. If CW more likely playing for the unit's chaplain while he was holding a Sunday service. They're portable but not in a day-pack.

harmonium.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread