Hill Billy
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Jun 3, 2007
- Messages
- 1,769
- Reaction score
- 76
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- Whites XLT
- Primary Interest:
- Other
Hill Billy said:djabend said:Perhaps it says "As the object of all study, and the end of all wisdom, is practical utility"
Preface
The Household Cyclopedia 1881
http://www.mspong.org/cyclopedia/preface.html
HH,
Donny
Donny, I believe you are correct. Great job, I would have never figured that one out.
Now what did this brass piece go to?
In the one photo of the back of the piece there appears to be 4 letters. They may help with identifying what the brass piece was used for.
Thanks again everyone for there help so far.
johnnyi said:Hill Billy said:djabend said:Perhaps it says "As the object of all study, and the end of all wisdom, is practical utility"
Preface
The Household Cyclopedia 1881
http://www.mspong.org/cyclopedia/preface.html
HH,
Donny
Donny, I believe you are correct. Great job, I would have never figured that one out.
Now what did this brass piece go to?
In the one photo of the back of the piece there appears to be 4 letters. They may help with identifying what the brass piece was used for.
Thanks again everyone for there help so far.
Buckles, I still think it might have been one of the outside halves to a folding medical lancet. It wouldn't be unusual for a phrase like this to appear on what may have been a gift to a youg doctor.
lancets of colonial times came in different styles, and unfortunately very few are pictured on the web. Some fold with a longer blade. This one may have had a shorter blade, with the handle making up the difference. Here is a scan showing he hump that covers the blaqde on a slightly diffeent style of lancet. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...prev=/images?q=medical+lancet&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

5woodluther said:I see the resemblance, but the lancets always have the protruding 1/2 moon or other shaped portion on the end opposite the pivot point. Not dissagreeing, just noting a discrepency.