What's new

Some help with getting the right detector.

Bama_BigJohn

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2006
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Scottsboro, AL
Detector(s) used
Still trying to decide.
Hey folks. My wife and I live in Scottsboro, AL and want to start detecting. The more we read on detectors, the more lost we get. We travel so we will be hunting in AL, TN, GA and NC. I'm not rich and I have to get two detectors. We were looking at the Ace250, and the Bounty Hunter505 to get started. Are these good choices for these southern areas or should we look at something else? Main interests would probably be coins and jewelry but wouldn't mind the relics too. I prospect for gold also, but if I understand correctly I will need to go with a specialized detector for that? I'm open for any suggestions. Thanks.
 
I live in NC and have had success with the Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Found Civil War Relics with it as well as jewelry and coins on the beach. Check out "Today's finds" for what I found on the beach this morning. I also have the Ace 150. Got it for my wife, I have found some good stuff with it on the beach and in fields and farms. I want to up grade to the Ace 250. By the way, I am selling me Bounty Hunter for $175 shipped if you are interested. Lost my job and need the money. Here are some pictures: let me know. Joe
 

Attachments

  • BH2.webp
    BH2.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 152
  • BH.webp
    BH.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 142
  • BH3.webp
    BH3.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 143
Bama,

I live in TN and just spent several months researching metal detectors. I went into it with the same desires as you as far as what I would like to use it for and am also new to the hobby. I found that there are only a few detectors that are truly all purpose. They are either coin/jewelry or gold prospecting. What makes it even harder to research them is that users are either/or also. Very few people can afford more than one detector.

I narrowed down my choices to the White's MXT and the new Minelab Xterra 705, which is replacing the Xterra 70. The MXT has been around for a while and it was easy to find reviews and information on it. Very few of the reviews were bad. I could not find much info on the Minelab and found mixed reviews on it's predecessor. The Minelab has 3 available frequencies but you have to physically change the coil to change modes (it only comes with one coil). With the MXT, there is a 3 position switch to change modes. In the end, my choice came down to money and I bought the MXT.

In my shopping, I found that Kellyco (a sponsor of this site) has a BOGO sale where you can get a cheap second detector for a low price if you buy a detector from them. I ended up getting the MXT and a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 for less than the Minelab's sale price. My wife hasn't shown an interest in the hobby but in case she changes her mind, I'll be ready.

I've only had the machines for about a week and have not been able to get out and start using either one yet. I can, at this point say that the MXT is very easy to learn to use. White's has videos on their site that really helped me understand how to use it. I think I will be very happy with it and not feel the need to upgrade for quite some time.

One last plug for the MXT. White's has a bonus bucks special right now. With mine, I was able to get a 4X6 DD coil that I will use for prospecting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom