England
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
XP orx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20190923-173818.jpg

Upvote 10
I'm sure everyone would enjoy some info about your finds instead of just a picture. I've always been fascinated with Roman finds because my Uncle used to find Roman coins and artifacts when he was in England back in the early 70's. Showing me his finds when I was a kid was what got me into detecting. What can you tell us about the piece in the center of your pic?

I'm sure everyone would enjoy some info about your finds instead of just a picture. I've always been fascinated with Roman finds because my Uncle used to find Roman coins and artifacts when he was in England back in the early 70's. Showing me his finds when I was a kid was what got me into detecting. What can you tell us about the piece in the center of your pic?

Hi appreciate you asking! The piece in the centre is a large Roman mount of the God Bacchus on a vine leaf I believe it was possible from a large wine vessel and possibly one of the best examples out there! Was definitely a heart in mouth experience seeing that face at the bottom of a hole!

Here's some footage of the discovery

Very nice! I'd bet good money that your bronze Bacchus is actually a steelyard scale weight and basically a complete artifact and not an applique to something larger. Note the wear to the suspension hole, and a quick internet search will reveal other similar Roman weights.

Very nice! I'd bet good money that your bronze Bacchus is actually a steelyard scale weight and basically a complete artifact and not an applique to something larger. Note the wear to the suspension hole, and a quick internet search will reveal other similar Roman weights.

Awesome thanks for the info I'll look into that now!

Some beautiful finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Thanks again for the id I think your right :occasion14:

The vessel mount is very nice.

Is that the average condition of the Roman bronze coins that you find? If so your very lucky, only about 1 in 25 come out like that first us!

The vessel mount is very nice.

Is that the average condition of the Roman bronze coins that you find? If so your very lucky, only about 1 in 25 come out like that first us!

Thanks :occasion14: it all depends on what field I'm detecting I have around 3 fields that 90% of the time they come up like the day they was dropped ,
I've found probably around 2000 in the past 2 years and if there's one thing I've learned it's that the Romans created some amazing stuff but they must have had rubbish pockets :laughing7:

Hi appreciate you asking! The piece in the centre is a large Roman mount of the God Bacchus on a vine leaf I believe it was possible from a large wine vessel and possibly one of the best examples out there! Was definitely a heart in mouth experience seeing that face at the bottom of a hole!

Detecting finds posted without context or background perspective are just 'finds'. :dontknow:
I'm not trying to belittle what you've found LJ, you've definitely saved some of England's history, but jewelerguy made a good point.

I'm just a big supporter of hearing 'the story behind the find', that's what makes a find special :thumbsup:
Dave

Thanks :occasion14: it all depends on what field I'm detecting I have around 3 fields that 90% of the time they come up like the day they was dropped ,
I've found probably around 2000 in the past 2 years and if there's one thing I've learned it's that the Romans created some amazing stuff but they must have had rubbish pockets :laughing7:
Actually they never had any pockets.
I think most of them were dumped on the field with all the other household rubbish & animal crap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back