Some of my finds at the farmhouse

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these among about 40 others while I was out today. I still don't know for sure what I've found but for a newbies first find it's pretty awesome. These bottles were only about 2 foot deep and there are many more still there. They are being found among lots of junk iron and bones and ash. After about 3 feet down there is a layer of clay that I am curious about. I've heard that that was used to cover up privies so I'm wondering if I need to dig down through that and how deep that layer usually is. If there is still more stuff under that than I have hit a goldmine at least for me. You experts can tell me but some of these bottles I've found as little as a foot down are from the 19th century. Here are some pictures of a couple of the bottles and the clay looking stuff I'm talking about. Thanks everyone for all the help so far.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 84
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 105
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 104
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 90
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 8.JPG
    photo 8.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 102

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you suppose they drank or rubbed on the liver and kidney balm. Cool

DeeDee

Greenie
May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there Josh, my name is Dee, and i hail from my home forum of THF. But i have been on here and a couple other forums in the recent past, and always keep an eye out for anyone that posts any sort of bottle finds. Found your posts here today whilst browsing thru the thread. And i have a site for you all about James Henry McLean , his story and the company. it also mentions the tonic you have for the kidney and liver. nice find. :)

http://www.rdhinstl.com/mm/rs170.htm

ps. another site for you that shows your very bottle.

http://collections.mohistory.org/search/node/78757

oh, and 1 more site i found in my bookmarks... they were taken to court for potential false advertising in 1917, found guilty, but case was pending thru appeal in 1918 at the time of this notice.

http://books.google.com/books?id=m7UwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA171&lpg=PA171&dq=mcleans+liver+and+kidney+balm+bottle&source=bl&ots=J4FxEbYM06&sig=adAMPBs6dMS4ydc_lZdEv0DpS7E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=omzWT5XaBKuN6AHN2aCwAw&ved=0CGYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=mcleans%20liver%20and%20kidney%20balm%20bottle&f=false

scroll thru the former and next pages, you will see the thorough reading.

Last edited:

youk

Aug 11, 2007
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Sunray Probe
For being so close to the surface those bottles have some age to them. I'm sure someone on here can tell you how to make a probe and use it so you can tell if it is worth your while digging through the clay. Looks good so far. Keep us posted!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey Josh, keep at it. You will need a probe for sure to see if its worth going through the clay. Just a T-probe from a local sewer/pipe locator store would do for now. Or you could dig a bit further. The caps we have are usually clay/ sand and are about a foot to two feet thick sometimes. Then the goods are below that. What I see that you have there so far would be worth going after more. The deeper you get, the older you get usually. Its hard work but well worth it sometimes. The Grasser Brand from toledo are pretty common. Is it a blob top? You are digging in the right stuff, old enough and cool digs. Let us know what else you find. Goodluck and be safe! jgas

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still at. I've been digging some more stuff haven't went through the clay yet but a 4 foot probe I bought goes down all the way. This land was originally owned by Daniel Wagner. He owned a huge amount of north texas. The town I am in was not establishes until around 1910. I wish I could find more info on this house because it's clearly older than that. There are still square nails in parts of it. Anyway thanks for all the help and I'll post more of my finds as soon as I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread