Some Williamsburg VA 07 finds...

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel

Attachments

• VA HalfPennie07.jpg
    VA HalfPennie07.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 2007 det finds (2).jpg
    2007 det finds (2).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 678
  • VA HalfPennie07.jpg
    VA HalfPennie07.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 2007 det finds (2).jpg
    2007 det finds (2).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 643

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
wow that half penny is awesome! i sure would like to hear the story on that find! ;)

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
I was detecting part of the Williamsburg battlefield when I found that coin. I have been doing tons of research on potential sites and found out that on this particular site there was a 18th century farm house. I would imagine that it actually was dropped then opposed to the CW. I haven't had time yet but have been back several times since and found some very interesting pieces. Pottery, random CW items and tons of oyster shells.??? Tomorrow I am visiting another battlefield so by the end of the weekend I should have some good photo's to post. And for the record I am starting to hate shot gun shells. They give off such a promising tone then nothing. >:(

dunsky1476

Jul 26, 2004
Ronin9868 said:
I was detecting part of the Williamsburg battlefield when I found that coin. I have been doing tons of research on potential sites and found out that on this particular site there was a 18th century farm house. I would imagine that it actually was dropped then opposed to the CW. I haven't had time yet but have been back several times since and found some very interesting pieces. Pottery, random CW items and tons of oyster shells.??? Tomorrow I am visiting another battlefield so by the end of the weekend I should have some good photo's to post. And for the record I am starting to hate shot gun shells. They give off such a promising tone then nothing. >:(

How did you get permission to hunt a battlefield there? I would of thought somewhere like Williamsburg, VA all the historical sites would be protected.

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
The Williamsburg battlefield takes place over a large area of Eastern Williamsburg. My last house was actually built on Fort Magruder land. Most of the battlefield is not protected but actually being developed with single family homes. Anything near Colonial Williamsburg is off limits and holds a big penalty for detecting in. I have permission from my old neighbors to scoot thru their yard into some undeveloped/ not posted property. Williamsburg has so much history and really has many good finds yet to be found.

IDigIt

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
South East Virginia
Detector(s) used
White VX3, Whites xlt, Whites Surf PI, Whites DI6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim from Yorktown here. Found two spikes like the big one in your picture. Do you know what they are? I believe they are the pins that hold the wagon wheels on. What do you think?
Jim

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
IDigIt said:
Jim from Yorktown here. Found two spikes like the big one in your picture. Do you know what they are? I believe they are the pins that hold the wagon wheels on. What do you think?
Jim

Jim, Did you clean your spikes yet? I thought it was all iron but after cleaning it it looks to have a crome finish on it??? Not really sure why that would be. I kinda forgot to look into this but now my interest is sparked. Ill take a recent phoyo and post it here. Let me know what you find out.

Roy

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of those spikes were used as tents stakes. Many times they had various uses though other than this.

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
{Sentinel} said:
Many of those spikes were used as tents stakes. Many times they had various uses though other than this.

You saw the spike Sent, why is it crome colored??

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I know on the property my hubby owns, where they found the 400 yr old 10K gold signet ring, it was laying on top of oyster shells. Turns out, they believe it was a trash pit and/or a place they roasted oyster shells. My hubby's property is believed to be the center of the Croatain Indians and the ring pre-dates the Lost Colony and to whom the ring belonged too...records show he was there before the Lost Colony.

As CryptoDave said, also told to us by Dr. David Phelps, the archaeogist who did the digs, that oyster shells are usely a good indication of "homesteading". Hubby's property is in Buxton, NC.

That spike kinda reminds me of one this man gave us when we were walking along this beach while I was up in CT working. He told us abit of history about that beach, how a railroad ran right along it. He found that spike and gave it to me, I still have it. It looks more like a giant square nail really (I know mine is a railroad tie)....infact, I was hoping to catch the tide out at the right time to go to the island offshore. You can walk to it, if you catch the tide out at the right time! Never made it :( but got close LOL.

Ronin...you need to go back and do some more...you got yourself a good spot.

Good luck on your next venture!
Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread