Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I was working an area about 60 yards from an old cellar hole and came upon a small elevation overlooking a swamp. I thought to myself what a perfect place to sit and hunt. Then I found this. Octagonal barrel flintlock (note the touch hole on the side). I wonder whether the shooter was injured. My guess is mid-1800s? Any information is welcome. I can't locate any marks on the barrel. Would you folks suggest a vinegar bath or naval jelly?
HH
dts IMG_3027.JPG

Upvote 28

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
dude that is sweet

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks gold boy! I was pretty stoked!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find! Maybe electrolysis. If it where mine, I might lightly wire brush it. But that's just me.

HH, RN

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very awesome find, and you are very right about not being a good thing. but for any one that loves blackpowder (bought 1st one in 1973) or history period, totally awesome! Bad things happened here and there for many reasons but that thing was modern stuff back then. congrats

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, relic nut and dirt looter. Think I'll try electrolisis. I also got my first flintlock (Thompson Center Arms 50 cal Hawken) in 1972. Certainly a challenge to hunt with that thing due to the long delay between the flint igniting the powder in the pan and the main charge going off. Scared the heck out of a number of deer! Never did get one with that thing. Everyone thought I was nuts... they were right!
HH
dts

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kudos to you for knowing what this is! I would have filed it as iron junk. How did you know?

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh...reminds me of my youth when we would do smart things like wedging a shotgun shell into the notch of a tree and using our BB guns as the firing pin.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh...reminds me of my youth when we would do smart things like wedging a shotgun shell into the notch of a tree and using our BB guns as the firing pin.

Atleast you were smart about it, I was about 9 or 10 when we stuck them in a vise in my cousins garage and just hit em with a tack hammer.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find with the barrel! Must have had a really bad day. I'm assuming they lived though because otherwise you might have found the rest of his wearable metal near by!

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atleast you were smart about it, I was about 9 or 10 when we stuck them in a vise in my cousins garage and just hit em with a tack hammer.
. Oh...you mean like slowly tapping a .22 shell down so that its about the size of nickel and then with one last "WHACK" small pieces of brass and lead go flying everywhere and your kid brother (who was under my care) gets hit in the ear and bleeds all over the place? We never did anything like that.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. Oh...you mean like slowly tapping a .22 shell down so that its about the size of nickel and then with one last "WHACK" small pieces of brass and lead go flying everywhere and your kid brother (who was under my care) gets hit in the ear and bleeds all over the place? We never did anything like that.

HAHAHA yup sounds about right in line with most of my childhood. Then they made the mistake of teaching us chemistry later on.....

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

dude that is very nuts

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering what that is and the circumstances of the loss, I vote Banner.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude that is very nuts

We were "a handful" according to my parents. We used a laundry basket filled with heavy stuff as a counterweight to lock a babysitter in the bathroom one time while our parents all went christmas shopping. Tied it to the door knob and hung it over the stairs, then went about our business for 3 hours. Apparently she was quite traumatized from that and never talked to the family again.:dontknow:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done sir. That is very neat relic. That was a BIG loss for someone... makes for a nice find for you though.

Best of luck to you!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were "a handful" according to my parents. We used a laundry basket filled with heavy stuff as a counterweight to lock a babysitter in the bathroom one time while our parents all went christmas shopping. Tied it to the door knob and hung it over the stairs, then went about our business for 3 hours. Apparently she was quite traumatized from that and never talked to the family again.:dontknow:

Flipping loving this thread! Been laughing hysterically and hope I don't wake my neighbors after 1:00 a.m. Thanks for the good medicine and reminders of my own dysfunctional upbringing.:laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread