Someone please help me out I have found a extremely crazy rock

Damn

Aug 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello can sombuddy please help me find out what this rock is it is massive it is very very heavy even if you break chunks off it is very heavy
It is gold in colour a the metal/gold detector gose to over load I need help figureing what this is here are some photos BEE25A44-0AC8-4744-A9DA-C48E57A7F826.jpeg 9C8C883B-A3AD-4112-9193-FE9491C275EB.jpeg E4A096E8-CA02-4065-AB37-57F66DCA01D3.jpeg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Damn! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved from What is it? over to Forum: Rocks/Gems for more exposure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Damn

Aug 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much I will get on that how long does it normally take to get a reply this rock is slitly magnetic but hardly like hardly and has a smell of sulfur it also has huge corts lines in it I’m hoping it’s worth some money

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet find someone will help ya it takes a little time

Upvote 0

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can definitely confirm that is a big rock. Smash off part of it and have it assayed.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smell of sulfur and what I can see in the picture tells me you have a rock with arsenopyrite in it. The coloration of the rock indicates a lot of iron is present as well, likely from the decay of the pyrites in the rock. The high iron content is whats setting your detector off. If there is anything else present in it you'd have to crush it and find out or have it assayed. As to worth, only as a yard piece. If you can smell the sulfur its pretty active and not a great idea to keep indoors.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smell of sulfur and what I can see in the picture tells me you have a rock with arsenopyrite in it. The coloration of the rock indicates a lot of iron is present as well, likely from the decay of the pyrites in the rock. The high iron content is whats setting your detector off. If there is anything else present in it you'd have to crush it and find out or have it assayed. As to worth, only as a yard piece. If you can smell the sulfur its pretty active and not a great idea to keep indoors.

arsenopyrite smells like garlic. :)
Other then that, I agree. Sulphides, likely more then one.

For a prospector, knowing the origin of said boulder could be interesting - trying to find the source or outcrop where it came from.
An assay will tell.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Damn

Aug 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have researched what you have said
The rock was found here in barriere BC we live on the river side
I have not found anything about what you have said found in Canada
It is being tested right now we are hoping it has a decent amount of gold if crushed
And recomondations on hiwnto extract after it’s crushed would crushing it and then melting it down be a good idea

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just crush a sample fine and pan it out. No gold then stop. Gold then take a look in the prospecting forum for ideas on what to do next.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just crush a sample fine and pan it out. No gold then stop. Gold then take a look in the prospecting forum for ideas on what to do next.

I disagree. Have it properly assayed. Crush and pan is only useful for free-milling gold, which is something you want in a small one or two man operation.

Other companies might have an interest if this leads to bigger deposits, hence an assay is the way to go.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread