Something brass

WallyWanderer

Jul 17, 2014
Victoria
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is by no means valuable, but was hoping some might have a clue as to what it is. It's brass, and thin, and I will show front and back photos. Hoping someone might know.... TIA 007.JPG 008.JPG Edited to say...it's about 1 & 1/2 inches wide. Oops!

OP
OP
W

WallyWanderer

Jul 17, 2014
Victoria
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ekeisler. I'm thinking you mean what we would call braces? (In Australia). They hold up a mans trousers instead of a belt? (Suspenders here are what a woman used to hold up her stockings). ;) I'll google that to see if I can see some similar. Thanks.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it maybe a late 19th C Ladies sash buckle (keeper/hasp).

Upvote 0

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first impression was a war medal buckle, but ekeisler is probably right.

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gang, I don't believe there is any way it is anything but a keeper for a belt plate. I don't know if it is fashion or military, but I don't think it is a suspender clip.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crusader is correct... it is the "keeper" from a mid-1800s-to-early-1900s civilian sash-buckle, made of stamped sheetbrass. At just 1.5-inches wide, it is too narrow (and also too "light-duty") to be from a military buckle. Note the EXTREMELY thin rim around the hole for the buckle's tongue-hook... if you put any weight on that belt, such as a sword or cartridge-box or pistol, the hole in the keeper would break. It can only be a sash-buckle's keeper.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader is correct... it is the "keeper" from a mid-1800s-to-early-1900s civilian sash-buckle, made of stamped sheetbrass. At just 1.5-inches wide, it is too narrow (and also too "light-duty") to be from a military buckle. Note the EXTREMELY thin rim around the hole for the buckle's tongue-hook... if you put any weight on that belt, such as a sword or cartridge-box or pistol, the hole in the keeper would break. It can only be a sash-buckle's keeper.

True, one of my after thoughts was it could also be a mans, at first the decor & light construction made me think female. So safer to say Civvy rather than ladies.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions