Something copper...I think..???

TN digs

Greenie
Aug 18, 2021
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks. :hello: I dug this out of my yard...near the surface beneath where an old shed once stood. It appears to be solid copper. I cleaned it up as best I could. It weighs about a half pound and is about 5 inches in length. It has the numbers 001 or 100 (I don't know which end is up..??) embossed on one side. I have no Idea what it was used for...any ideas?? Thank you for your time. 20210818_043949.jpg

Attachments

• 20210818_044007.jpg
    20210818_044007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grasping at straws I used Powerpoint to create a graphic of your find in 3 different orientations with the bent leg straightened out and adding another leg to the stub. Nothing obvious jumps out at me. At 5", 1/2 pound, and no holes for mounting screws, I'll go with what DCMatt suggested (pivot wall hook). A heavy duty one at that...

Attachments

• Something copper.jpg
    Something copper.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retract my guess as it being electrically related. It just looks a bit too crude for that now that I've seen the extra photos.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TN digs

Greenie
Aug 18, 2021
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank you for taking an interest in and investing your time on this piece. I am still not convinced this piece is a pivot wall hook, although, it may very well be. This piece is thick, heavy and as cudamark added, "crude". I don't believe the piece was "bent". It appears to have been cast in this shape. Still, I have no idea what it may be. Thank you, again.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank you for taking an interest in and investing your time on this piece. I am still not convinced this piece is a pivot wall hook, although, it may very well be. This piece is thick, heavy and as cudamark added, "crude". I don't believe the piece was "bent". It appears to have been cast in this shape. Still, I have no idea what it may be. Thank you, again.

TN digs, you're welcome. IDing and estimating the age of an artifact can far exceed the time it took to find it. That is part of our hobby. Good luck w/ future hunts:occasion14:

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's copper, I would suspect it's part of an electrical contact of some sort. Interesting find.

I am going on this theory as well.
The rough area is where the contacts came together, and arcing effects happen.
C17510 and C17500 beryllium copper alloys are age-hardenable and provide good electrical conductivity, physical properties, and endurance. They are used in springs and wire where electrical conduction or retention of properties at elevated temperatures is important.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm back to thinking "electrical". I think the biggest clue is the corrosion/deterioration at the elbow.

attachment.php

It reminds me of the damage you often see at the contact points of your electrolysis set up...

Attachments

• damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TN digs

Greenie
Aug 18, 2021
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going on this theory as well.
The rough area is where the contacts came together, and arcing effects happen.
C17510 and C17500 beryllium copper alloys are age-hardenable and provide good electrical conductivity, physical properties, and endurance. They are used in springs and wire where electrical conduction or retention of properties at elevated temperatures is important.

Thank you, pepperj! In my research into copper alloys, I actually read this same info on one of the sites that I visited.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TN digs

Greenie
Aug 18, 2021
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm back to thinking "electrical". I think the biggest clue is the corrosion/deterioration at the elbow.

attachment.php

It reminds me of the damage you often see at the contact points of your electrolysis set up...

My thoughts exactly, DCMatt!:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

attachment.php

If this item came into my scrap facility, I would probably throw it into the hydro/red brass category.

Bus terminals/switching of high voltage will decay the bar over time.
It looks familiar in shape but I haven't put a finger on what exactly.

Plating lines-I'm not sure on this one as the electrodes/hangers/anodes just/never look like this item.
Taken complete lines down/scrapped/demo. Taken in anodes/nickel/silver/copper/alloys from the platers/companies for a decade and it's all pretty well the same.
https://www.pcbshop.org/en/supplier/product_details.asp?ProID=2842&SupID=1836

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread