Something copper...I think..???

TN digs

Greenie
Aug 18, 2021
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks. :hello: I dug this out of my yard...near the surface beneath where an old shed once stood. It appears to be solid copper. I cleaned it up as best I could. It weighs about a half pound and is about 5 inches in length. It has the numbers 001 or 100 (I don't know which end is up..??) embossed on one side. I have no Idea what it was used for...any ideas?? Thank you for your time. 20210818_043949.jpg

Attachments

• 20210818_044007.jpg
    20210818_044007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's copper, I would suspect it's part of an electrical contact of some sort. Interesting find.

Upvote 0

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Illinois!!

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. You have a curious piece. Looks like the # may have had more digits/characters at one time - but have now disappeared due to the depression to the right of the second "0".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TN digs

Greenie
Aug 18, 2021
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your response, cudamark. An electrical contact is my thought as well, considering it is solid copper. I am thinking maybe some sort of grounding electrode or anchor of some sort. Whatever it is, it was made for "that" particular purpose. Have a great day!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TN digs

Greenie
Aug 18, 2021
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. You have a curious piece. Looks like the # may have had more digits/characters at one time - but have now disappeared due to the depression to the right of the second "0".

Thank you, invent4hir, for your response. It is very possible that the piece had more numbers but just past the second "0" it appears to have a rounded edge closing the "arrow" embossing. It is hard to tell considering the location of the depression. I am including a close up of that area, although, I am not sure it will be of any help. 20210818_043728.jpg

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN digs, thanks for posting the close-up of the numbers. Unfortunately I can't make out any more. When looking at the second picture, it looks like that area was heated up and leg bent for some reason.:dontknow: Another question do any saw marks appear on the end of the short leg aiming at 10 o' clock in the second picture? Might be that leg was cut off.

How did you determine it was solid copper? Reason I ask is that looking at the pictures your find looks silver in color to me - but it could just be my eyes.

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it an old door stop that attaches to the bottom of a door and the flat pies/end used to have a rubber piece on it?

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's a pivot wall hook. The only place that is worn is at the "elbow" where something was hanging on it for a long time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TN digs

Greenie
Aug 18, 2021
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN digs, thanks for posting the close-up of the numbers. Unfortunately I can't make out any more. When looking at the second picture, it looks like that area was heated up and leg bent for some reason.:dontknow: Another question do any saw marks appear on the end of the short leg aiming at 10 o' clock in the second picture? Might be that leg was cut off.

How did you determine it was solid copper? Reason I ask is that looking at the pictures your find looks silver in color to me - but it could just be my eyes.

Hello again, invent4hir. I have done a bit more cleaning on the piece. I may be wrong about the "solid copper" determination. ...It is definitely copper colored but I really have no idea...??? A magnet does not adhere to the piece but there does seem to be a silver tint to what appears to be a coating or thin cladding of some sort over what may be a copper alloy..??? The piece was definitely cast, as I can see the crease/ridge left behind by the mold. I can also see the marks left behind from the fettling process. You asked about possible saw marks on the "end of the short leg aiming at 10 o' clock"...there does appear to be saw marks on that leg but not on the other two. I'm adding a few more photos...take a look. View attachment 1943439 View attachment 1943440 View attachment 1943441 View attachment 1943442 View attachment 1943445 View attachment 1943446

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I attempt to open the attachments I get "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". Re-try adding the photos.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread