Something Ive noticed with the Safari

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Something I've noticed with the Safari

I did some quick hunting today in a spot I've hit no less than six times using everything from coin to all metal modes. Today, however, I decided to dig some of what might seem to be less than desirable signals (that I've passed up on previous trips), you know, the ones that sound choppy and bounce all around from +32 to +37 in one sweep. To my surprise, I pulled out a total of three wheat pennies ranging in depth between 7-8" while in relic mode, sensitivity at 18, and in high density trash.

Normally, wheaties in my area will give solid signals around the +36/37 range, so I was rather pleasantly surprised to see these come to the surface. I guess my point is, sometimes those "iffy" signals in that range can turn out to be good targets. So don't pass them up!

Ray

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Something I've noticed with the Safari

You never now some times a choppy signal can be some good stuff. Congrats :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Ray, you will find so much more if you try to ignore those bouncy numbers and hunt solely by tone. Trust me. I've been doing it for two years now. All the finds I have made were based solely on tone. I never look at the numbers. The numbers are just for reference, and they should not be used for the purpose of "to dig or not to dig".

CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used

Thanks Dan. In principle I agree with you 100%. The problem is, not having used an FBS machine before I'm still trying to get used the tones. Right now a silver coin sounds like the same high flutey tone as a clad dime and certain late 70s memorial cents makes, which, when I hear, I think "silver!" and then I dig it only to be disappointed. I'm trying hard to distinguish that unique tone for silver but it just hasn't registered yet. I'm sure it will come in time though.

Ray

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Ray in WA said:
Thanks Dan. In principle I agree with you 100%. The problem is, not having used an FBS machine before I'm still trying to get used the tones. Right now a silver coin sounds like the same high flutey tone as a clad dime and certain late 70s memorial cents makes, which, when I hear, I think "silver!" and then I dig it only to be disappointed. I'm trying hard to distinguish that unique tone for silver but it just hasn't registered yet. I'm sure it will come in time though.

Ray

Ray, try not to lock yourself into thinking you need to have a perfect sounding silver signal to find the silver coinage. That's not true. Many times, you don't get a perfect "silver" signal on a silver coin. Ground mineralization, nearby trash items, coins on edge, or worn silver coins will not produce your "perfect" silver signal. I dig more deep clad dimes and deep memorial pennies than you could imagine. Don't be disappointed when you dig them. They all could be potentially old copper/silver coins. Quarters are different. They ID on the Explorer completely different than a silver dime does. A lot of times, the sound of a silver coin is indistinguishable from the sounds of deep clad pennies/dimes. You've got to dig them, or you may be passing up good coins. If a target is as deep as other old coins you've been finding in an area, you've got to go for it. Now, if you're in an area with lots of gopher activity, all bets are off. Silver could be right on top, or down a foot.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used

Thanks, Dan. I've been out of town for a few days and then it started to rain here for another few days, so I haven't been able to get out with my Safari for about a week. But when I go out next, I'm going to try and ignore the screen completely and go by ear to see if I can really distinguish any difference in tones. Will keep ya informed.

Ray

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used

Well, Dan, I tried going by tones today, although I must say I cheated a bit.

Found a '57 Rosie listening to conductive tones (I can recognize a "silver" tone a lot easier in this mode) but then I just had to look at the screen after recognizing it with my ears. Although my display jumped between +37 and +38, I know by the combination of the tone and numbers that this was gonna be something good.

What I need to do, however, is make that same distinction in ferrous tones, which I must admit is what I'm really having difficulty with. All in time, though.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread