Somethings Wrong Help

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started a new job two months ago and there is no time for hunting.I went out at 5 am this morning to beat the California heat 105 in the forcast.The old Army Air Base is close so off i went.I walked out in the field and got a penny signal it was a 1941s ok big deal.Walked 5 more feet and dug up a 1917s penny no excitement.A little later got a dime signal 1943 merc.somethings wrong.None of the time did i get that whoo hoo feeling.Is it possible that after a while its just another coin? Somethings wrong did i hit the mding wall? Help!! ??? AA

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi AA
I don't think anythings wrong, maybe its like watching the same movie
over again and again,you lose interest, you need to find something different to
keep your interest going.
Don't give up.

Dave.

becket

Jun 3, 2007
Give yourself a goal for each site, maybe. How about old dogtags at the base, trying for the war years, and if you get em', try and find the old owners. Might even get you new good places to hunt through the new acquaintances you'll meet along the way...
people get tired of Lobster too, but not for too long ;)

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey aa, I get the same way sometimes. I'm a avid hunter have been for about 20 years. I remember getting the shacks so bad every time I see a deer when i first started,what a rush!Then later in years and no I'm not old I kind of lost that feeling for awhile. I had take a couple steps back slow down a little. :-\ That worked for me, maybe it would you,either way hang in there bud! :) :) It will come back!

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Sounds like you need more of a challenge aa...spend some time researching a good spot and then go there and dig up the "treasure" ....I'll bet you get more satisfaction from that then randomly picking a spot and just getting lucky...

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
aa, sounds like a bit of monotony. Maybe try some other aspects like water hunting, relic hunting, panning for gold, or something along those lines.
I'm sure the new job doesn't help but maybe even a scavenger type hunt would work. Make up a list of items that you'd normally find but not as easily. Try and complete as much of the list as possible. Say one item could be a round pull tab with tail, another could be a toy car, etc. The next month instead of just a toy car-make it a tootsie toy car. You could put down a ring, the next month-change it to a silver ring.
The monotony breaker would be to come up with the areas in research to give you the best chance to find those items. Just a thought.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Uh-oh, now ya did it. A while ago I said something to mirage about not getting that giddy feeling anymore when I get a merc......then I went over two weeks without one. The next one that I dug made me smile from ear to ear, to date I am happy with all my "keepers", be careful what words you use, you may someday have to eat them.

S

skydiv

that's what happens when you get to much of the same thing. I found 1 merc in 4 years maybe 1-2 wheats a year. I still get the feeling

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I had to chuckle a bit when I read your post. When I first started I was a typical newbie showing all my finds found at typical locations to my friends. But you evolve as time goes back- you need new challenges. So I became an old coin/relic hunter- just doing the research and looking for old coins/relics.
Haven't been to a park in ages. I later evolved into relics and gold nugget hunting. Haven't tried meteorite hunting- It may be my next path.

Keep swinging and find new challenges.
George

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmmm? No happy dance or even warm fuzzies from a Merc? Sounds bad. Hope I never catch it.

Reduce your laudanum by 1/2 dosage.

S

stefen

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Hmmmmm? Reduce your laudanum by 1/2 dosage.

Thats funny...

Wearing a hat would help considerably especially in 105 degree weather...

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Here's my take on where you are. You just started a new job and there is no time to metal detect. That is a stressful situation. You are compensating for this by getting up really early to go and get some detecting time in. It's not like it used to be when you would go hunt for some relaxation. Some fresh air. Some exercise. Some contact with nature. Now it sounds like you are "forcing" yourself to go out and detect. When you do that, finding a couple of old pennies and a silver dime just won't cut it. You are trying too hard. You really want things to be the way they used to be and they can't be. You want the metal detecting to relax you and make you feel better the way it used to and it's not. You're not realizing how unusual it is to find silver dimes and how lucky you are to find them. You are seeing it as just a coin and not something hard to find. You are in a tough place. You've looked behind the curtain and saw that most of the stuff we find is Junque or coins worth a little more than face value. You've let that take the place of the excitement of finding something other people don't or can't. Or of finding anything at all. I'll bet there aren't but a handful of people here that have found 2 good wheats and a Merc that quick and that close together. That should be exciting or at least make you feel proud of your skills.

More hunting and more wheats is not an answer to your situation. The thrill is gone and you have to figure out how to get it back. This is a really strange comparison but I tell people when they are sick and have no appetite to try and think of something, anything, that sounds good to eat. Anything no matter how strange. If you go get that, you can eat it and it will taste good enough that you can keep it down and at least get some calories in. For this, can you think of anything that you could find with your detector that would make you happy? Anything. How about a Civil War bullet? Maybe you need to hunt less and go places to find different things. Things you don't already have. Things you haven't already found. Things that maybe you thought about a lot when you were a kid. You may wind up doing more driving and less hunting but you may just find the answer you need.

My 2 cents for free.

Daryl

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help its not normal for me to force mding its suppose to be fun.Right now its 111 degrees and the heat is getting worse.Think ill take up fishing for a while and then come back to the hobby i love mding. 8) AA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread