Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it isn't worth it

A fellow treasure hunter drowned yesterday while metal detecting at Caseville Beach in the Thumb of Michigan

"CASEVILLE, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say a 39-year-old Wixom man who was wading while using a metal detector to search for valuables has drowned in Saginaw Bay at the Caseville County Park beach.

The Huron County sheriff's department says Thomas E. Weaver drowned Saturday. The department says Weaver was wading in about 4 feet of water when he called for help several times and went under the water.

The Bay City Times reports about 100 people formed a human chain to walk through the water after Weaver disappeared.

The sheriff's department says Weaver was found about 20 minutes after he went under and was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Caseville County Park is located in Huron County in Michigan's Thumb region, about 110 miles north of Detroit."

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=8624626

I frequent this beach and have probably talked to him. Hopefully, we can learn from his mistake and stick a little closer to shore

HH
-GC

Upvote 0
Re: Sometimes it isn't worth it

here's more info

Wixom man drowns at Caseville beach
Beach-goers help police in search and recovery efforts
By Kate Hessling, Tribune Staff Writer
Published: Monday, July 7, 2008 11:25 AM EDT
CASEVILLE — Officials applauded the efforts of many volunteers who assisted in searching for and recovering the body of a 39-year-old Wixom man who drowned Saturday while swimming at the Caseville County Park beach.

“I was grateful the community came together to help us search,” said Caseville Police Chief Jamie Learman, noting at the time of the incident, there were between roughly 400 and 500 people at the beach.

The Secret to Getting Highly Discounted Cruise Tickets

Criminal Justice - A Recession-proof Career Choice

Is Your Computer Slower Than When You Bought It?
“A lot of bystanders actually helped carry him out of the water,” added Caseville Fire Chief Ben Willenberg.

Huron County Sheriff Kent Tibbits said he didn’t have an exact number as to how many people helped in the search and recovery efforts, however, he heard reports that many beach-goers took time to help.

“When I got there, I was more concentrated on the recovery, and I assisted with that,” he said. “But witnesses said there were at least 100 volunteers that were assisting with the search.”

Tibbits said the incident was reported at 11:27 a.m. Saturday, when Central Dispatch received several 9-1-1 calls from people on the beach.

He said the 39-year-old Wixom man, Thomas Weaver, was up in the area for the day with his fiancé, Peggy Collins, and Weaver’s two children, Megan and Zack.

Witnesses told police Weaver was wading in 3 1/2 to 4 feet of water, roughly 150 to 175 yards off shore, using a metal detector to search for valuables, Tibbits said. Witnesses saw Weaver kneeling in the water and then calling for help several times.

In particular, two 14-year-old girls who were in the immediate area heard Weaver calling for help and yelled back to him, Tibbits said. The girls said they saw Weaver slip under the surface, and they then rushed to shore and asked people to call for help.

Emergency crews arrived on the scene to find volunteers in the water searching for the victim along the north edge of the swim area at the Caseville County Park beach, the sheriff reports. Police at the scene coordinated efforts for the sheriff’s marine patrol and scuba divers. Emergency personnel joined in the search and a human chain was formed to sweep the area.

Tibbits said Weaver’s body was found shortly afterward and CPR was immediately started.

Scheurer Ambulance transported Weaver to Scheurer Hospital in Pigeon where resuscitation efforts continued, he said. Weaver was unable to be revived and was pronounced dead shortly afterward.

Witnesses believe Weaver may have been under water for a minimum of 20 minutes, Tibbits said.

After Weaver was transported to Scheurer Hospital by Scheurer Hospital ambulance personnel, Huron County Medical Examiner Richard Lockard ordered an autopsy to be performed later in the day at Huron Medical Center in Bad Axe.

Tibbits said Dr. John Laio performed the autopsy, which was completed at about 5 p.m. Saturday, and preliminary results indicated Weaver died as a result of a drowning accident.

The sheriff said he’s not aware if Weaver had a pre-existing medical condition, and there’s no indication of foul play. Also, he said, preliminary results from the autopsy found there was no indication of alcohol or drugs in Weaver’s system.

Assisting the Huron County Sheriff’s Department at the scene Saturday were Scheurer Ambulance, the Caseville Police Department, Huron County Sheriff deputies working in Caseville Township, the Caseville Fire Department, Michigan State Police, and Winsor Township Fire Chief John Kohr, who was camping nearby, Tibbits said.

Neither Tibbits nor Willenberg could recall the last time a swimmer drowned at the Caseville County Park beach.

“It’s been a long time since the last time a drowning happened at Caseville beach,” Willenberg said.

HH
-GC

yes golden coin this one is a fresh water fluke accident ---but sadly hes still dead ----had a freind been there with him most likely he'd be alive today -- it never hurts to have help around when your water MDing is the point I'm driving at even in fresh calm not overly deep waters -- and two is better than one safety wize at any time and place.

Could have been as simple as a cramp or a back problem. Sad, sad story. Sending a contribution to the family for college fund. We should all try to stick together when we hear of these kinds of things. :'(

someotherdude said:
Could have been as simple as a cramp or a back problem. Sad, sad story. Sending a contribution to the family for college fund. We should all try to stick together when we hear of these kinds of things. :'(
Witnesses told police Weaver was wading in 3 1/2 to 4 feet of water, roughly 150 to 175 yards off shore, using a metal detector to search for valuables, Tibbits said. Witnesses saw Weaver kneeling in the water and then calling for help several times.

After reading this I believe your totally correct on something happened that put him in an elevated level of stress that overcame his ability to walk back to the shore.

What a huge loss to the MD community as well as his family.

Im sorry for the loss of one of our very respected forum members here, may he rest in peace.

This is really sad.

I have lived in California for the past 17 years, but I grew up in Bay City, Michigan, and when I was real young my family would drive to Caseville beach for a week of summer vacation every year. My dad was in a wheelchair with MS, so we could never travel very far for our vacations, but Caseville was certainly good enough for my three brothers and sister and I.

Sympathies to the family.

Jim

I don't know if I would say it isn't worth it. Although very tragic, it doesn't sound like hunting was the cause of his death,and if it is my time I rather it be while I was enjoying my last moments than sitting at work with a pile of work to do. Just my 2 cents. And my prayers to the family.

This is so sad,God bless him and his family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back