Somewhat thicker Cob found today. Any ideas on age?

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm usually on the Today's finds forum but Bill D. thought I could get some feedback on this cob found today.

ina's cob1a.JPG

ina's cob1b.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
1/2 reale from Mexico City minted during the reign of Philip V - 1st Period(1700-1724). Even though the Assayer isn't visible, one knows it is "J" (Jose Eustaquio de Leon). He had produced a unique design that is attributed to him. The mysterious "o" to the right of the "S" in the monogram is presumed to be a space-filler instead of an interpreted initial. He served at the Mexico City mint from 1705-1724.

Last edited:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I may ask, what is a cob? It looks like a cut up coin that I have seen referred to as "Bit".

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grizlee...they're Spanish coins that were much more crudely made than the later Reale. Many were cut as a way of "making change" depending on how much was cut depended on whether it was a "two-bit", "four-bit, "six-bits" piece. Here's a primer on them.... Spanish Colonial Cobs: Introduction

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Accepting what Diver Down wrote above, the date range can be further reduced since assayer "L" was on that series of coinage between 1701 and 1708. Thereafter, assayer "J" was the assayer through the end of the series (1724); again, as Diver Down noted.
Don....

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grizlee...they're Spanish coins that were much more crudely made than the later Reale. Many were cut as a way of "making change" depending on how much was cut depended on whether it was a "two-bit", "four-bit, "six-bits" piece. Here's a primer on them.... Spanish Colonial Cobs: Introduction

Thank you. We always referred to them as "bits". I'd not heard 'cob' before. Very interesting. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread