What's new

Sorry about this

gamiller

Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
605
Reaction score
473
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what is this? I have this on video. In one instance it uses it fins like legs to walk along the sea floor and then uses it fins more like fins to swim.

IMG_0691 - Copy (2).webp
 
Upvote 0
I can't tell from your pic. I have seen frog-fish (I think it was that) walk and swim on the bottom, so it's not unheard of.
 
I can't tell from your pic. I have seen frog-fish (I think it was that) walk and swim on the bottom, so it's not unheard of.

Thanks . With the proper terminology I can use a search engine and satisfy my curiosity.
 
Thats a lion fish. Taking over the oceans, kill all you can find.
 
[h=1]What is an elasmobranch?[/h]Elasmobranchs are a closely related group of fishes, differing from bony fishes by having cartilaginous skeletons and five or more gill slits on each side of the head. In contrast, bony fishes have bony skeletons and a single gill cover. Elasmobranchs include sharks, sawfishes, rays, and skates.


 
Thats a lion fish. Taking over the oceans, kill all you can find.


No... it's not.

Lion fish are pretty good to eat. You have to clip the 'feathers' off with scissors and then clean like a regular fish. Flaky white meat.

Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 7.25.20 PM.webp
 
Look more along the lines of a Banded Guitarfish.

Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 7.27.37 PM.webp Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 7.28.22 PM.webp
 
Thats a lion fish. Taking over the oceans, kill all you can find.

I am on the gulf coast also. With different takes on its identity I need to do more research before the carnage begins:laughing7:.
On a more serious note they are dangerous aren't they?
 
Any suggestions where I can upload video to and you guys could be more positive on the identity? Video is short.
 
How much more can I give you?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=banded+guitarfish[/video]
 
I don't know if they're dangerous but sea robins sure look like they aught to be. :laughing7:
I mean who would create something that looked like that without making it dangerous? :icon_scratch:
 
Sorry tried to upload video to YouTube but it requiring me to sign in with Google account that I don't remember enough info for .Google is the new Microsoft, the help offered is useless. Thanks for all input. First it looked like a frog fish, but then again it also looked like a sea robin. Once again I thank everyone for their input. The best I can describe its fin motion while swimming was like a whirligig.
 
Something that ugly simply has to be mean, nasty, and vile. :laughing7:
 
Thanks Red James Cash, I think I can rule out the sea robin it mode of movement looked different.
 
Evolution-in-the-making-A-rare-fish-developing-hind-quarters.gif


This is called a handfish. Was that it?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom