Jun 29, 2023
Hello TreasureNet, I am a relative newbie to this forum although have been interested in lost valuables for many years. I've been lurking on this site for a few months reading up on details of various shipwrecks which I find so fascinating but only recently created an account. I appreciate the level of detail many of the researchers go into.

I have been reading a lot about the American Civil and Revolutionary Wars, California Gold Rush and shipping lanes to and from Panama and the Spanish treasure fleet routes taking riches from the New World back to Spain. There is a lot to digest and with existing wrecks not fully scavenged or even completely found there is so much an aspiring treasure hunter could focus on.

Before I dive deep into any one area, I wanted to ask ya'll here - are there any type of treasures that you think are not worth the time, money and effort to research and investigate? The lost Confederate Gold after the Civil War ended appears to be a good candidate for not pursuing given that it may not exist and so much has moved around.

I'm fascinated by stagecoach robberies by bandit during the California/Nevada gold rush but unsure where to begin to investigate all the bandits and travel lanes from the Sierra Foothills to San Francisco. Bandits would often rob stagecoaches and hide the loot and often be killed or arrested before they could pick up the bounty. Also, wondering if there were other ships like the SS Central America that went down carrying California gold rush gold. Also a lot of old now abandoned railways carrying Colorado gold were robbed with gold buried along the railway lines or nearby. Any good books ya'll have come across on this subject I would be very grateful.

Also, any ships in the Caribbean or the Pacific side of Mexico/California/South America that are known to have gone down with large quantities of valuables which haven't received a whole lot of attention by treasure hunters and remain unfound? I know the San Miguel of the 1715 fleet remains elusive as does the San Miguel from 1551 that sank off the coast of Santo Domingo. There is also the Santa Maria that sank off the coast of Ecuador in 1590 that Margaret Brandeis apparently found (see link below) but did not pursue or tell the authorities given the uncooperative nature of the Ecuadorian government. It may not be worth pursing if she didn't pursue it.

I was wondering in general - where do ya'll get your ideas from? I plan to make a trip out to Seville, Spain to spend a couple of months doing research so that could potentially give me ideas but wondering if ya'll know of good books or resources I could study for idea generation I would be very grateful. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't want to infringe on other peoples ideas even though I know its all fair game so long as you aren't infringing on pre-existing leases & private property. But I like to do things that most aren't doing.

Also, since I'm a newbie, I wanted to ask - is there an etiquette that treasure hunters should abide by? I know the governments are encroaching on private life and private enterprise more and more to get their cut of the pie and there is the risk that a government could outright confiscate your loot without sharing any of the spoils of the find. So is it better to search and scavenge without alerting the thieves in government? I know this is an open ended question and many will have different opinions on the matter and I welcome the discussion.

My concern is why be like Dennis Parada who was advised to alert the FBI about potential Civil War era gold find in Dents Run, PA. The parasites in government came swooping down and stole the gold without even the slightest thank you, or reward or recognition.

I don't care for fan fare. This is all about fun and adventure and there is nothing like holding bullion or gems and a piece of history in your own hands.

I also wanted to mention that I am retired and still south of 50 yrs so I have sufficient energy to do hands on work and have sufficient capital to finance any treasure search without requiring outside investors. Given that, I am looking to jump into research about a fascinating lost treasure and hopefully the adventure of a life time.

Appreciate the discussion and feedback. It's an honor to be part of this community. Thank you kindly.

We may be able to help each other out. I work for dreddge company, we came across a
A civil war ship. Sent divers. And have proof of what Lost Ship it is.
225.522.6169... text me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread