south texas treasures

Hello Tenderfoot,

I'm from Brownsville but currently living in McAllen. There are many treasure stories due to the rich history of the area.
It was rumored that during the Mexican American War of 1846, the Mexican Arny was so confident on beating the US forces that they crossed a pay wagon and a few others with MX General Aritza and officers belongings. They were buried in a hurry between 3 palm trees in the shape of a triangle once they retreated. The only way to cross the river was via a ferry so when they rushed back they had to swim or be taken prisoner. The treasure site would be located somewhere along Paredes Line Road. It was the route used by both armies. Being that indigenous palm trees grow near a body of water the site would be near a resaca (lake) or dry lake bed.

Ernie

Attachments

• Battle site.jpg
    Battle site.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,568
Hey Smoore,

I shot you an email. There are I think two other active members in our area, Chris 233 and Texaskickergirl, on the forum who have posted recently. Maybe they'll be interested in chatting, too.

Ernie

I live in Edinburg and just got my tesoro cortes yesterday. I also work with two other metal detecting fanatics that are trying to teach me the ropes. Maybe we can get an RGV thing going.

Hi ptlmg,

Sorry I toke so long to answer. It would be great to start a RGV Metal Detecting Club or maybe simply to meet up at some park with a few members and chat. I've only MDed a few years when I can make time. The oldest coin I've found MD is a MX 1919 5 centavos bronze coin. Could you guess where? In Edinburg.... Other than Hidalgo and Mission the next oldest town in this part of the valley is Edinburg. Hope to hear from you soon.

Ernie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back