✅ SOLVED Southeast Asian dovetailed box with vented openings?

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My wife and I found this box at Goodwill for $12.91. We bought it because it looks old, but we have no idea what it is. Resembles painting on some boxes with Southeast Asian influences that we've seen before on new and old items made in China and India, etc, but never in this design. It has dovetailed corners in the top piece and bottom section as well, and has wire mesh 'vents?' around the openings that are held in by a dried tar-like substance. We first thought it may be some kind of shoe-shine kit and stool, but then didn't see the need for vent holes. Then we thought it may be for baby chickadees or some other animal, but there is no way to secure down the lid. Our final guess is some sort of dehydrator to make things such as dried pork or beef jerky, and allow fresh air flow to flow in without contamination by flies, etc. Any guesses?
image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The good news is, the dovetails are hand cut, and looks like a pretty darn good job from what few are exposed. That says it was AT LEAST a very experienced craftsman. Cannot tell through the paint if this would be considered Master Craftsman. Also, the dovetails are very narrow - much more narrow than normal, especially for western woodwork. The details at the bottom also suggest an Asian flair. Could have been made here in America or brought over from Asia. Sorry, not up on differences between Japanese and Chinese.

Looks like it might could be a cooling box, like for cooling a pie without having bugs/rodents get to it. Might have been used, as you mentioned, for drying foods or herbs. Your guess is probably better than mine!

Due to the condition, looks like it hadn't been taken the best care of, which would be somewhat unusual for either Japanese or Chinese. Maybe the original family did not have possession after some time?

Now for the bad news - there's nothing more that I "can" tell you. Is already hard to say much from photos, but at least the photo quality is very good.

Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup:

EDIT - Forgot to mention - those aren't dovetails. They're finger joints. Still, they are finely (accurately) cut.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks so much! Also at the same goodwill, if it helps, there was a solid wood 'chinese lunch box' basket that i passed on because it was missing a lid and i didn't know what it was at the time. May have been donated by the same family? I'll add a photo of a similar one i saw online tonight.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Would've been nice to see the other one at GW. The piece above is definitely Chinese. But the vented box? I dunno. Sure do like the screen they found to use on it!! But for $13, it's a GREAT conversation piece!

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some design of a cricket cage ?

Attachments

• b56dbefa91f8ce9b36959e7663cd150c.jpg
    b56dbefa91f8ce9b36959e7663cd150c.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd say not a cricket cage, I just think they would jump everywhere since the lid opens on the base of the box instead of very top. Hmmm.... Thanks tho!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Found one on Etsy for $328!

image.jpg

Their description-
An antique red lacquer box from Shanxi Province circa 1900-1920s. This top was traditionally used for holding moon cakes or other styles of pastries. The sides feature a wonderful traditional style screen for ventilation. An excellent decorative box.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found one on Etsy for $328!

Their description-
An antique red lacquer box from Shanxi Province circa 1900-1920s. This top was traditionally used for holding moon cakes or other styles of pastries. The sides feature a wonderful traditional style screen for ventilation. An excellent decorative box.

I don't know... Both of these boxes have way too much wear and tear to be pastry boxes. If you're making delicate pastries, you won't beat up the box like that.

Look at the wear marks and pattern on the box bottom. These were heavily used and contained something harder and heavier than moon cakes.

I think the honeycomb pattern on the outside is a clue. Possibly boxes for transporting honeybees to the orchard for pollination? Swarm capture box? Something bee or honey related.

I don't know what, yet... but probably not a pastry box.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's another one listed as a ventilated sweetmeats (dried fruit & nuts coated with honey or sugar) box. It has 2 inserts with 6 trays in each. But this one isn't all beat to bejeezus. It looks like a fine piece used for ceremonies or holidays. :dontknow:

eastern goods - Antique Chinese Ventilated Sweetmeat Box

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yup just had a friend from China confirm that her grandparents have an old one too and use it for snacks as well. Thank you guys for the posts, info, and fun guessing!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread