What's new

southeast Wyoming

Culinary Caveman

Full Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
246
Reaction score
286
Golden Thread
0
Location
relocated to Wyoming
Thinking about taking a trip up north in August to get away from the Texas heat. Would like to do a little poking around with my detector in the Vedauwoo area. Anybody been up that way? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks, Cave.
 
That's the area where Butch Cassidy hid the chest of gold coins from a stage robbery. I researched that robbery and know the location where he hid it near Landon. I even have the location marked on a topo map. 50/50 ? Frank...-
111-1 profile.webp
 
You bet. Never heard of Landon, did you mean Lander? If so that's a couple hundred miles NW of where I'm heading.

It is above Lander on the other side of the river. The only problem is it might be on the Indian reservation. Butch went back and looked for it several times. I even know the ranch he stayed at.
His partner hid it in the rocks and told him where, but his partner was killed in a gun fight and butch could never locate it. I traced the old stage coach run to isolate the spot the heavy chest was stolen.
It would probably take several days of walking thru the rocks with a good detector to locate it. Still interested? FrankZ chest.webp
 
Last edited:
frankn have you ever been to lander? i'm in the area now, it's a very big open place with lots of rocks, streams, range land. good luck on the hunt
 
Frankn, tells us the story plz.

You got plenty of time I hope!
Butch and a partner robbed a stage going thru the wind river area heading towards Lander. The stage came across the top of a plateau and down thru a sloped canyon down to the wind river. At this point they held up the stage, releaveing it of its heavy strongbox of gold coins. It was to heavy for a fast getaway so Butch left and his partner dragged it a short distance into the rocks and covered it with rocks. Butch got back to the ranch he was working at before the sheriff got there. His partner told him where he hid it, but was killed in a gun fight. Butch went to get it and couldn't locate it. He went back several times, but never found it.. I searched the old stage route and found only one location that matched the description of the holdup. It was near the river above Lander.
I located the spot on a modern day topo. I have not been back out west since I researched this story. I figure I could find it with my 2 Box in less than 2 weeks. If my eye operation recovers properly and I can scrape together 2 grand, I might go for it. It's a long drive from Maryland.
Frank...-
Z chest.webpThat chest is probably a bit bigger than this.
 
Frank any houses near it on the river? A friend of mine lives in Lander on Indian land on the river which is in his backyard.
 
Frank any houses near it on the river? A friend of mine lives in Lander on Indian land on the river which is in his backyard.
Check your PMs. Frank
 
While looking for the cassidy file I ran across anther WY tale, The Lost Cabin Creek Mine.
It is a quartz lased with gold placer and surface mine near or on the Bighorn River.
Here's the search area and how I narrowed it down.
Get the GPS reading for the latitude of of Sheridan WY. You now have the latitude for the start of the search area on the Bighorn River. It is between this point and about the north boundary of WY.
This is from an old story of a mine worked by a Halfbreed and is one of 3 stories of a gold laced quartz outcropping that I have researched in that general area. This one seems to be valid. Anyone in this area? Frank...-
y gold bars.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom