davedog79

Apr 16, 2015
Belpre, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Payroll Cache Buried & Lost
WASHINGTON COUNTY — Prior to the American Revolution, in 1774 the British Empire claimed all of northeastern America for the crown. It was the policy of the British army to carry payroll for the soldiers whenever they were on campaign.
It was June 1775 when a British patrol passed by the mouth of the Muskingum River along its west bank heading north.
About five miles north of the river’s mouth, which today would be west of the town of Devola, the patrol set up camp for the night. As dictated by policy, the treasure was buried nearby for safekeeping.
That night a war party of Indians attacked the soldiers, killing all but two who were taken prisoner. One died in captivity, the second was ransomed months later.
As the only survivor, he led a search party to the campsite where they had been attacked.
A search for the treasure failed to locate it, but the soldiers buried the remains of their fallen troops at the site.
We likely wouldn’t know anything of this cache had it not been for a letter Michael Paul Henson was able to obtain a copy of in the early 1980’s.
The letter was in possession of a historian in West Virginia who Henson does not name. It only offers two lines of text, which provides the information for this story. It read… “Although a diligent search was conducted, we were unable to locate anything of value except a few useless muskets, discarded during the skirmish. We did bury the remains of the men we found.”
It’s very likely this lost cache was forgotten after the burials were performed and the soldiers moved on.
If someone invested some research time to follow up on this lead they may get lucky - it’s probably still there.

I have looked for 2 years and have had no luck thinking about giving up on this one

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
You fellows that would like to start a club? There all ready is a good site for you to check out to team up with other Ohio treasure hunter's. And it's called = OhioTreasureHunter Punch it in on your P.C.! Site is made up of T. Hunter's around Ohio, and some of them real close to you.

Muddhogg

Oct 21, 2017
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is to be found in found in Wildcat Hollow inside Pike Lake State Park?

Snow Diddley

Feb 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1866, Cadiz was the site of the biggest bank robbery of that period west of the Ohio River when six men stole $250,000, which translates into $25,000,000 today, from the Cadiz Bank and made their escape.

George White, leader of the gang pulled the robbery in late April. At midnight, they broke into the Lincoln Street home of the cashier, Melford Brown Sr. and extorted the keys to the bank door and the vault. After arriving at the bank, they silently unlocked the door and peered in. On seeing the watchman's back was to the door, the robbers rushed in and quickly overpowered him before he could sound an alarm.

The gang hurried to the Cadiz Branch rail where White had secured a handcar for the getaway. At about 2 a.m. they took to the rails.
Since the rails were rough and in poorer repair than anticipated, the gang's progress was slowed and they had gone a mere 10 miles to Cadiz Junction by the time dawn broke.

One of the thieves, noticed a barnyard as they fled across country and stopped to steal chickens. Because of the commotion he caused and the smoke visible while he cooked the stolen birds, he gave away the gang's position to the deputies on the hunt. Law enforcement ambushed and captured four of the men. White and another, recognizing their danger, had parted from the others by this time. The four captured robbers were sentenced to fourteen years in the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus. White advanced in his bank-robbing career until his capture. White's share of the loot, about $43,000, was never recovered. Mostly silver and gold coins.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checking in here

Chesterjethro

Nov 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interested. I live just outside of Circleville and I have more permissions than I can hunt LOL

Wolfie0827

Jun 30, 2018
Columbus, Oh
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chesterjethro, While I am not SE Ohio I am Central Ohio and reasonably close to you. I am located in Columbus Ohio and not much around here that I have been able to find.

The wife and I are also hampered by the fact that both of us are on disability and travel more that 30-45 minutes just to try and get permission (We are ones that think and experience has taught us that in person is better than letter/e-mail/phone call for getting permission.) is not real doable expense wise.

So if you would be willing to share some of your permissions with us it would be appreciated. While we would take anything you would be willing to share or put us in touch with we do have a preference for old farmsteads and semi-abandoned/abandoned properties.

We like the abandoned because another of our interests is exploring and documenting through video/photography of abandoned places to try and save some aspect of the places life for history.

If you are ok with sharing any spots you can contact me through the forum. And Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread