Southern Californians? Arizonans?

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'll be driving my son back from north Texas to Camp Pendelton in late June (thereabouts). I'm planning to bring my detector and hoping to maybe get a crack at some gold while I'm in beautiful California! I know the drought has a bunch of people looking all over so maybe there would be room for a Texan for a day?

I'm thinking to drive back, so even though it'll be crazy hot-I'd like to stop in Az and try my hand there too!

Much remains to be seen as to how much time I'll have and whether I drive back or fly, but anybody willing to help a guy out for a day?

I have a T2 and a small coil but may be able to get my hands on a PI..

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arizona in late June? 115-degrees, black flies, rattlesnakes, very little open land that isn't under claim. Best of luck!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way too hot for desert swinging BUT there is plenty of good beach detecting on and around Camp Pendelton. North county beaches can be good jewelery hunting and the scenery isn't bad either(where else can you see hundreds of almost naked women for free?)

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Haha! Well I had in mind to maybe go north in Ca. and try place or two if I could find one. Might seem weird but I'm not interested in the beach! I have miles of it here that I've been hitting frequently. No, a gold nugget is what I'd like to find! Or at least try..

Az sounds out but to quote the Terminator, 'I'll be back!'.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZ is hot, but you can go out in the morning and take a siesta for a few hours and hit it again in the afternoon. Rattlesnakes are a very real danger, though. If you have someone with, they could watch out for you and let you do your thing... I would not suggest headphones. And, don't walk too close to any bushes without looking under them first...

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That could work. I have snake chaps and clothing for heat-a lot of my adventures are outdoors in 100+ heat here in Texas. I have a list of Az places to hit but had originally planned for cooler temps. Since all that fell through I hate to see an opportunity to be in that same country go totally to waste!

Either way I plan to hunt! I think California may be a bit less hostile. I'm actually in Oceanside right now!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mind the heat and carry a camel pack AZ in the summer is pretty nice to detect :) The snow birds are gone and its mostly open range. you have snake chaps and this is good... not just for rattle snakes but for the cactus and yucca to. Another couple of items that would be helpful are a set of knee pads *those rocks are sharp and cactus needles hide everywhere* and a Rattle Snake headphone or something similar. Be sure to let people know where your going to be abouts and be sure to check in with them when you get out. Now adays you can get cell reception from most areas and high places so go for it :)

As to the desert critters, flip rocks with your pick and use your coil like a shield as you swing. I've had a few instances where snakes have hit the coil before me and scorpions like to hang out in the shade of rocks you intend to flip.

Good luck :)

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds pretty standard for here too... I'd rather find a partner to go with if that works out. Still a little time to plan, so that's good!

Gear-wise I'm set, probably way more than set actually! The only thing I need is a pick.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
pyledriver if you can hunt in 100 degree heat in Texas you will think Arizona is cool at 110 degrees and 6% humidity.

Come on out and enjoy the bake. I won't promise you gold but if you look hard enough you might find a rattlesnake. They hide out when it gets hot. Only the humans are silly enough to chase around in the heat of summer. :laughing7:

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Lol, I have been accused of not knowing when to quit.. I'll research a bit more and probably re-up my GPAA membership as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread