What's new

Sovereign GT and Sand

Smudge

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2010
Messages
1,532
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Other than hip or chest mounting the box, is there a way to protect the box at the beach? Since its mounted on the bottom of the shaft, I'm afraid to set the detector down in the sand to retrieve the target.

Advice?
 
Upvote 0
The black hip-mount bag is made to allow use while the control box is shaft mounted. You do not want to let it get wet though. Maybe you can figure out a way to enclose the box inside of a ziplock bag. I do it when chest mounting the box but never tried it while the box was shaft mounted. Remember though, it does not make the box waterproof. If you want waterproof, you might want to either think of a way to put it in a waterproof box or buy an Excalibur.

HH, Bottlebum
 
:coffee2:
look up some past posts from TREASURE_HUNTER. he water proofed a sov gt.
said it worked pretty good. he has 6 or 8 other units now
 
:headbang:
pix attached
 
Smudge said:
Other than hip or chest mounting the box, is there a way to protect the box at the beach? Since its mounted on the bottom of the shaft, I'm afraid to set the detector down in the sand to retrieve the target.

Advice?
Wouldn't it just be easier to chest mount it ? then you don't have to worry about it getting wet even in knee deep water Dd60
 
I have mine chest mounted so it never gets near the sand. If you still wanna keep it on the shaft you can place a baggie over it or use one of the detector brackets or make your own out of a wire coat hanger to keep it off the sand. But the chest mount is the best.
 
Hip or chest mount is the way to go. I use a Bino strap around my neck and the belt around my middle to keep the control box against my body when bending over.
 

Attachments

  • Neckstrap.webp
    Neckstrap.webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 608
crazyman said:
Hip or chest mount is the way to go. I use a Bino strap around my neck and the belt around my middle to keep the control box against my body when bending over.

Crazyman, is that a GT or an Elite in the bag in your picture? Just wondering because when I tried to put my GT in the blue bag, it wouldn't fit. Might have had something to do with the fact that I also use a ziplock or maybe the bag was a little undersized.

HH, bottlebum
 
Bottlebum, That is the Elite but the Elite and Gt are the same size. This is my GT and Elite in the pic. below.The older blue bag is to small if you use a plastic bag. I would think the newer Minelab black bag would be big enough but if not you can find a larger camera bag and modify it to work also. I like the older Blue bag for general/wet sand hunting because it has a thin rubber coating on the inside and is pretty weather proof.
 

Attachments

  • My-Sovereigns2.webp
    My-Sovereigns2.webp
    108 KB · Views: 439
  • My-Sovereigns2.webp
    My-Sovereigns2.webp
    108 KB · Views: 377
crazyman said:
Bottlebum, That is the Elite but the Elite and Gt are the same size. This is my GT and Elite in the pic. below.The older blue bag is to small if you use a plastic bag. I would think the newer Minelab black bag would be big enough but if not you can find a larger camera bag and modify it to work also. I like the older Blue bag for general/wet sand hunting because it has a thin rubber coating on the inside and is pretty weather proof.

Thanks! I knew that the XS was a little smaller than the GT is but I wasn't sure about the Elite. With the XS, I was able to use a ziploc along with the blue bag. I like the blue bag for the same reasons that you mentioned. The black bag is a little too bulky, made up of too many pieces and the sides of the flap do not wrap around the opening as well as the flap of the blue bag. You can however put a ziploc around the GT when using the black bag. Guess that makes up a little for the black bags lack of weather proofing.

HH, bottlebum
 
Water Gal Pal said:
I put a sticker over my speaker to keep the sand from getting in. Speaker decal!

Wanda
wanda@kellycodetectors.com

I've wanted to do that but can't find one to fit. I'm always checking the toy section of wal-mart but haven't had any luck yet....lol!
 
Use the silver tape air conditioner people use. It is water proof and will last outside in the weather for years. Most any ac person will probably give you what you need.
 
Smudge said:
Other than hip or chest mounting the box, is there a way to protect the box at the beach? Since its mounted on the bottom of the shaft, I'm afraid to set the detector down in the sand to retrieve the target.

Advice?

Do you have a detector stand on the straight shaft? I use a PVC stand (bought from Plugger on Ebay). It easily keeps the control above the dirt. If you are working in soft, dry sand you could also add larger feet to stand to keep it from settling.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom