Space Coast & Treasure Coast hunting in water

coin flipper

Mar 25, 2011
East Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
looking to buy one
Space Coast & Treasure Coast hunting in water

From what I have read, it is a no-no to hunt in the water below the low tide line in certain areas. Can someone help with those specific areas? I would rather be wading around than cooking on dry sand. So is there a possibility of getting a number so I can do some wade-hunting. Until a hurricane comes along we are packed in out here. Depending how many people out there would like to wade hunt this area. Is it possible to get a group of people to pitch in on a lease. I would figure enough t-net members would be up for it. 1,000.00 bucks can be split many ways and if there are significant finds, it could pay off. I do need some help where I can go in the water where not. Please, thanks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Space Coast & Treasure Coast hunting in water

I go in and out of the ebbing surf low-tide line all the time here in CA. No one's ever bothered me. And scuba'd a few times on our beaches with metal detector. Never had a problem.

I assume you mean FL though, that has something different on their books for certain beaches? As long as you're ok on the wet beach inter-tidal zone, why not just wait for the super minus tide days, during storm erosion, and I bet the pickens are every bit just as good at the low tide mark, as they are at 3 or 4 ft. out in the water anyhow. Mother natures going to put sand out, and back in, over the decades anyhow for all the sand on the tide-zone. So targets are not staying where they're dropped anyhow.

OP
OP
coin flipper

coin flipper

Mar 25, 2011
East Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
looking to buy one

I do wonder if I am at the low tide line, in the water, I am still obeying by the rule. I think the chances would be greater than at low tide in the dry. I guess just looking for the clarification of it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Well, maybe i just don't worry enough, but if it were me, and knowing that md'ing on the wet is ok (but just not UNDER water) ..... I doubt highly anyone is out there with a ruler measuring you, splitting hairs over whether or not the ebbing surf can lap at your ankles..... Vs your knees. .... Vs your calves, etc...

I mean, the water is just going to incidentally rush in and out. But maybe i'm not understanding your question.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

Have you tried internet seach for something like Florida laws metal detecting in water? or on beaches or near water? They must spell it out somewhere. Then one has to wonder if they will go by the spirit or intent of the law or by the letter of the law. I never know if what I hear from a detectorist is right but I think someone claimed if the coil is underwater, it's illegal. Florida claims owner-ship of the ocean from shore to many miles out.

Mel Fisher found a treasure trove of old coins from a shipwreck. What did the state do? Was it they gave him a couple million worth to cover their costs & took the rest? I don't think there will be anymore shipwreck diving unless it is done by state archaeologists? But if gold doubloons come up on shore, they can't stop people from taking them? Best wishes, George (MN)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

George, I can think of a lot of places where metal detecting related verbage is very vague, and open to interpretation. To the point where ...... even if you were to google search it, or intensely go through rule books, you might come up with added questions of definitions of words, etc.....

And then the problem becomes, if a skittish person feels this isn't good enough, and goes seeking clarifications from bureaucrats (who perhaps would never have cared or even noticed you), are now being tasked with "addressing this pressing issue". And we all know what the outcome of those type inquiries is going to be: "no"

To start with, I really doubt anyone is there rushing down to the beach with a ruler to make sure your coil didn't get splashed by the ebbing surf (thus qualifying it as having been "underwater" and thus your immediate "ticket to jail" ::)) If detecting on the wet sand beach is allowed, then heck, just go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread