f8.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 485

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
A few questions.....
Does the base metal appear to be silver or copper? The side next to the dime appears to have a silver hue, but I generally equate a green encrustation to be copper.
What general Florida beach was this found at?
Also, take a magnet and see if it is ferrous....on many of the treasure beaches in Florida, iron flaking from ships washes ashore, although I don't think that is the case.
The marking is certainly there, so I think it is a coin....just not sure if it is somewhat modern or a reale. Where you found it and the metal content are the key for further investigation.
Whatever it is, it appears to be thin and fragile..In the past I have dipped something like that in Muriatic Acid for 30 seconds after wrapping it tightly in aluminum foil, then wash in fresh water after unwrapping it, and detail might come up...definitely not the preferred restoration method, but in this case it will be more of a keepsake than to hold numismatic value.
With a second look at it, your second pic seems to show the outline of the Lincoln Memorial...likely a Lincoln cent. Copper plated zinc cents deteriorate very quickly in salt water.

goldcoastwayne

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies. Here are some answers:

- It was found in a Northeast Florida beach
- It is non-magnetic
- I doubt it is a Lincoln memorial
- On one side it has a letter "M" (Mexico mint?)
- On the other side it has two pillars (see picture below) which make me think of the pillar wave Spanish reales

It looks like silver plated over copper. I am wondering if this is a piece of jewelry (imitation of a Spanish 1-reale cob).

Attachments

• f9.JPG
    f9.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 428

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
Moe....you've got me stumped..I might suggest that you contact DiveWrecks or Mackaydon...they are both very knowledgeable in this area. If it were me, I would try the trick I told you about. Wrap it tightly with aluminum foil and dip it in Muriatic acid....the foil will turn black after a short time and detail will come up on silver. Make sure you wash it in fresh water afterward. Just don't repeat this process a second time! I am sure there are those that frown on this process, but it does work. Good Luck!

goldcoastwayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread