What's new

Spanish cob

psu5021

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 19, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Hello I have a Spanish cob and I’m wondering what’s it’s worth, how rare, estimated condition / grading and if it’s worth slabbing. Any information at all would be great !


Visible mint, assayer, and year
I believe it’s a 4 reale

TY!
Andrew
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6117.webp
    IMG_6117.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6118.webp
    IMG_6118.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 32
it's a 2 reales, minted at the Spanish (mainland) mint of Toledo, in 1613 ... that's a dang nice find, & a really nice example ... the date is on the edge of the cross side, between 12:30 & 1:30 (1613) ... the mint mark "T" is to the left of the shield, with the mint assayer's mark "C" below the mint mark. ("C", Melchor Rodríguez del Castillo, was assayer only in 1613 at Toledo ...a scarce assayer, adding value to this cob) ... the 2 reale denomination "II" is to the right of the shield, turned 90 degrees from perpendicular ... I'll post a photo/diagram here in a bit...very nice find ... I don't know the exact value for this coin, but since the assayer is rare, i wouldn't be surprised of the worth is $500 or above ... I will try fide a price history on this particular year/assayer (1613/C) ...this is a "keeper". psu. & may be worth authenticating ...
 
Last edited:
thank you, much appreciated! Of the coins that i got, this seems to be the only one that may be worth slabbing and grading. Thoughts on that?
 
Here's a diagram with the break-down on your cob ... correct weight for this coin would be 6.7 grams, with a silver purity of .931 ...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6118.webp
    IMG_6118.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 27
this is amazing! ill weigh the coin once it arrives for sure
 
thank you, much appreciated! Of the coins that i got, this seems to be the only one that may be worth slabbing and grading. Thoughts on that?
I would suggest contacting Dan Sedwick on this one, as it's value will exceed other , similar cobs of this era ... Dan's website: https://sedwickcoins.com/ ... send the p[ics & ask if he thinks it's worth authenticating, & who he would suggest ... the regular 3rd party grading services often make mistakes on Spanish cobs... again, this one'sspecial because of the 1-year assayer, & could be worth $500 or more ... ask Dan ...let us know...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom