What's new

Spanish Colonial

dougachim

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2013
Messages
590
Reaction score
1,223
Golden Thread
0
Location
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Spanish Fort ??? in a canyon. I was told by a old cowboy that there was a old hacienda up in a canyon. I finally got there and I don't think it is a hacienda but a defensive area to move to when The Apache was on the move. There are 2 corrals (stone) on both sides of an arroyo. There is a 40 foot plus cottonwood in the arroyo and more above the area so there was spring action there in the past. There walls connecting to 2 corrals thru the arroyo. There are some more walls above the corrals I didn't make it to. I had only a couple hours to explore. I found shell casings and broken bottles that date much later. Down in the flats about 10 miles away same drainage I have found bottles that went back to the 1850's. There are 7 working springs on the ranch and Indian artifacts from the paleo to proto historic around the springs. There was a torreon at the highest point inside the corral walls.I have google earth photos but if I post them everyone will know exactly where it is at. I am going back sometime soon and metal detect more and try to draw a site plan. These guys were farmers and small ranchers so I do not think there is any gold or silver stashed but I bet there is something stashed in all those rocks that they could use while hiding out.
 

Attachments

  • IMGP1941.webp
    IMGP1941.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
  • IMGP1942.webp
    IMGP1942.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMGP1943.webp
    IMGP1943.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMGP1940.webp
    IMGP1940.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • IMGP1948.webp
    IMGP1948.webp
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 136
Those are some nice finds and some very pretty country!
Big deer. I do not think anyone has metal detected the place and if they did thy didn't do a good job. I am going back and spend some time I bet there is something good too much rocky rough terrain for the cowboys working the area to have looked everywhere. That is one reason I know it wasn't the first hacienda, it is rough getting there on a horse and I saw no evidence of a road.
 
Big deer. I do not think anyone has metal detected the place and if they did thy didn't do a good job. I am going back and spend some time I bet there is something good too much rocky rough terrain for the cowboys working the area to have looked everywhere. That is one reason I know it wasn't the first hacienda, it is rough getting there on a horse and I saw no evidence of a road.
Good luck to you! I hope you find the big one,whatever that may be! And be careful!
 
Great looking place to get lost for many hours.
No EMI out in those parts I'm guessing.
But of luck on the next outing.
May a silver something be shining back at you
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom