Spanish Colonial

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Spanish Fort ??? in a canyon. I was told by a old cowboy that there was a old hacienda up in a canyon. I finally got there and I don't think it is a hacienda but a defensive area to move to when The Apache was on the move. There are 2 corrals (stone) on both sides of an arroyo. There is a 40 foot plus cottonwood in the arroyo and more above the area so there was spring action there in the past. There walls connecting to 2 corrals thru the arroyo. There are some more walls above the corrals I didn't make it to. I had only a couple hours to explore. I found shell casings and broken bottles that date much later. Down in the flats about 10 miles away same drainage I have found bottles that went back to the 1850's. There are 7 working springs on the ranch and Indian artifacts from the paleo to proto historic around the springs. There was a torreon at the highest point inside the corral walls.I have google earth photos but if I post them everyone will know exactly where it is at. I am going back sometime soon and metal detect more and try to draw a site plan. These guys were farmers and small ranchers so I do not think there is any gold or silver stashed but I bet there is something stashed in all those rocks that they could use while hiding out.

Attachments

• IMGP1941.JPG
    IMGP1941.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMGP1942.JPG
    IMGP1942.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMGP1943.JPG
    IMGP1943.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMGP1940.JPG
    IMGP1940.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMGP1948.JPG
    IMGP1948.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
OP
OP
dougachim

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds and some very pretty country!
Big deer. I do not think anyone has metal detected the place and if they did thy didn't do a good job. I am going back and spend some time I bet there is something good too much rocky rough terrain for the cowboys working the area to have looked everywhere. That is one reason I know it wasn't the first hacienda, it is rough getting there on a horse and I saw no evidence of a road.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big deer. I do not think anyone has metal detected the place and if they did thy didn't do a good job. I am going back and spend some time I bet there is something good too much rocky rough terrain for the cowboys working the area to have looked everywhere. That is one reason I know it wasn't the first hacienda, it is rough getting there on a horse and I saw no evidence of a road.
Good luck to you! I hope you find the big one,whatever that may be! And be careful!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking place to get lost for many hours.
No EMI out in those parts I'm guessing.
But of luck on the next outing.
May a silver something be shining back at you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread