What's new

Spanish Gold and The Lost Dutchman

skyhawk1251

Sr. Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2018
Messages
443
Reaction score
1,168
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Spanish Gold and The Lost Dutchman" by Ludwig G. Rosecrans (1949, 64 pages) offers the author's theory on why the Lost Dutchman mine has not been found and where he thinks it could be located. It is an interesting read for those who enjoy alternative theories and viewpoints. It should be noted that the author was not a successful prospector, nor was he native-born to the southwestern United States. His mining "claim" was just a ploy to provide some justification for his squatting on public domain land. He did a little superficial digging to keep his "claim" active. Apparently, he did no gainful work, subsisting only on money doled out from the family coffers.

I'll call the pages that follow here "Part One." The "meatier" parts of the matter will follow in installments.

"Ludwig “Doc” Rosecrans was born in 1914 and he was the only son in his family. His father became a successful physician but Ludwig chose a very different career path. He came to the Superstition Mountain area to search for gold shortly after World War II. He was in his early thirties. He lived in a ramshackle shack built on his mining claim just off of the Apache Trail.
Doc was somewhat of a philosopher who had his own ideas about the soul and various other related topics. Although in 1949 he published a book, “Spanish Gold and the Lost Dutchman”, he also “intended” to publish a book on these other interests." -- Gary and Carol Cundiff

29.webp

30.webp

31.webp

32.webp

33.webp

34.webp

35.webp
 
Here is another good Oak Island story, that won't go away and no matter how many people search and search without finding a nugget, people still keep looking. People have spent their entire lives believing in the treasure over the past 100 or so years without finding anything. You would think it would discourage people but nope.
 
Here is another good Oak Island story, that won't go away and no matter how many people search and search without finding a nugget, people still keep looking. People have spent their entire lives believing in the treasure over the past 100 or so years without finding anything. You would think it would discourage people but nope.
Well, I noticed you looked. 🤓😉

Skyhawk,
Thanks for sharing,
Idahodutch
 
Yes I did because I love reading the stories. But that is where I draw the line, they are stories and that is all they are until they are proven to have actually existed beyond the stories, the word of mouth or some treasure map with an x marks the spot without any tangible proof.
 
Yes I did because I love reading the stories. But that is where I draw the line, they are stories and that is all they are until they are proven to have actually existed beyond the stories, the word of mouth or some treasure map with an x marks the spot without any tangible proof.
What a coincidence, I think most of the folk that come here to read about treasure stories, are doing so because they enjoy reading the stories, only we don’t toss the room upon our entrance. 😵‍💫

This is supposed to be a family friendly forum.
You want to engage, that’s normal, poking at everything you can think of …. Just because, is not helping this to be a family friendly place.

I’m sure the nice man posting these stories is not wanting to be interupted by such nonsense.

If you have something to contribute, meaning most people would appreciate the input, as intelligent and informative, then wonderful.

Otherwise you might be taken as one of those that take delight in seeing what they can stir up, usually at other’s expense.

I hope you are able to enjoy the forums. 👍
Sincerely,
Idahodutch
 
Here is Part Six -- the final part of the story. Nowhere in the book does the author show photographic evidence of a mine or rich ore taken from a mine. He added his name to the others who never found the Lost Dutchman.

59.webp

61.webp

62.webp

63.webp

64.webp
 
What a coincidence, I think most of the folk that come here to read about treasure stories, are doing so because they enjoy reading the stories, only we don’t toss the room upon our entrance. 😵‍💫

This is supposed to be a family friendly forum.
You want to engage, that’s normal, poking at everything you can think of …. Just because, is not helping this to be a family friendly place.

I’m sure the nice man posting these stories is not wanting to be interupted by such nonsense.

If you have something to contribute, meaning most people would appreciate the input, as intelligent and informative, then wonderful.

Otherwise you might be taken as one of those that take delight in seeing what they can stir up, usually at other’s expense.

I hope you are able to enjoy the forums. 👍
Sincerely,
Idahodutch
I made a comment and only a comment, I didn't attack anyone, nor made accusations unlike your self righteous self. I was unaware you were a forum moderator. If you are and not someone trolling looking to start an issue then delete my posts or suspend me or ban me, if not then your opinion is only your opinion just like mine and you know what they say about opinions.
 
Here is Part Six -- the final part of the story. Nowhere in the book does the author show photographic evidence of a mine or rich ore taken from a mine. He added his name to the others who never found the Lost Dutchman.

View attachment 2250704

View attachment 2250705
View attachment 2250706
View attachment 2250707
View attachment 2250708
skyhawk1251, I am finding the info you are posting very helpful, this evidence of gold found has got me planning a future hike to look around. Thank you for sharing.
 
skyhawk1251, I am finding the info you are posting very helpful, this evidence of gold found has got me planning a future hike to look around. Thank you for sharing.

I post topics such as this one for their historical value and also with the thought that they could interest Dutch hunters to expand their explorations to additional places in the Superstitions. Also, I post Google Earth images that show surface features that I can't positively identify, but that seem to stand out from surrounding terrain. Dutch hunters can then note those locations, and if they are passing near those places they can see what is there for themselves and take photos if they wish. I don't post GE "anomalies" thinking that people will plan hikes only for the purpose of heading for any anomaly.

You'll notice in Rosecrans' book that he provides names of places that are no longer known by those names, and he knew people who were somewhat closely connected with some of the Superstition tales. Those things are of historical value.
 
Here is another good Oak Island story, that won't go away and no matter how many people search and search without finding a nugget, people still keep looking. People have spent their entire lives believing in the treasure over the past 100 or so years without finding anything. You would think it would discourage people but nope.
Mtdoramike

That's because not all the stories you hear about or read up on, are fake. There are some that have made some interesting discoveries using some of these stories. Problem is, their discoveries don't get shared for obvious reasons.

There are always bits of truth to every story. It's that, one has to sift through the garbage to find the gems.

I've been told countless times that the LDM doesn't exist, but in fact it does exist and still out there waiting for that one smart and brave soul to put the work into revealing it.

There was one story (still around) that I was completely convinced was bogus, but later was shown evidence that it IS a good valid story. So - never quickly dismiss any of these stories without thoroughly vetting them, exhausting all avenues of possibilities.. In the end, the only way to find some peace with these legends is to get out there, see for yourself what's out there and make your own decision(s).

SpartanOC
 
Hello Skyhawk
I have an idea what would be the " Hat mountain " from Gonzales clues. I believe is described in Erwin Ruth's clue on the LDM. Also, I believe the gold placer is 1,5 mile to the north from that landmark, and not to the south as was written in the book. Maybe a bad translation or an intentional mislead. Also, from what I have heard, above that placer, just to the right of a small ravine and about 50 yards above the canyon bed, is the infamous gold vein related to Doc Thorne. Just sayin...
 
Hello Skyhawk
I have an idea what would be the " Hat mountain " from Gonzales clues. I believe is described in Erwin Ruth's clue on the LDM. Also, I believe the gold placer is 1,5 mile to the north from that landmark, and not to the south as was written in the book. Maybe a bad translation or an intentional mislead. Also, from what I have heard, above that placer, just to the right of a small ravine and about 50 yards above the canyon bed, is the infamous gold vein related to Doc Thorne. Just sayin...

I found "Hat Mountain" using Google Earth shortly after reading this book. I will try to locate it again and will post images with GPS coordinates.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom