What's new

spanish reale stamped "copy"

dwatson4

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2010
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
E trac, F75, Garrett Sea hunter II
spanish reale stamped "copy"

I found one of those Spanish hammered cobs or imitation reales about the size of a quarter in a park this past weekend. It has the word "copy" stamped on it. My question is is it still silver?
 
Re: spanish reale stamped "copy"

:( Sorry but no. They are pot metal and coated with gold color or silver color. They can be bought at any souvenir shop all along the Keys and almost any tourist trap in Florida. :'(

I'll bet it still got a startled gasp out of you. Harr Harr! Arrrgh Matey, it be a good feeling to think you found a dabloon or a Piece of Eight. :icon_pirat: Better luck next time.
 

Attachments

  • For Sale 053.webp
    For Sale 053.webp
    130.4 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0
Re: spanish reale stamped "copy"

I doubt it -- I found a gold one on the beach a few years back heavily encrusted in sand/concretion - upon cleaning it started to disintegrate and "gold" layer was peeling off. I think it was a novelty someone dropped. Did it read like silver? Drop it on a glass table with a silver quarter and see if it sounds the same. If it was silver, it would probably be stamped .925 or Sterling.
 
Upvote 0
Re: spanish reale stamped "copy"

oh yeah it was exciting for about 10 seconds. I wasn't to disappointed though everything I was finding was from the 1920-30's and I didn't think there were allot of Spanish settlements in upstate SC.
 
Upvote 0
Re: spanish reale stamped "copy"

White Feather,

Cool pirate display - where is that? On that Kenya Produce box what does "TEGAT K T D A" mean?? Anyone know??
 
Upvote 0
Re: spanish reale stamped "copy"

:laughing9: It is a display at a local tourist shop called The Shell Factory in North Fort Myers. Lots of souvenirs and such. Great restaurant and even a nature trail and zoo of sorts. A really nice place to spend a few hours with the kids yelling, "Can I get one of these, Mommy?" or wanting an ice cream. Awesome place to do the family stuff. Here are a few more pictures of the store. They also have an online store.
 

Attachments

  • For Sale 007.webp
    For Sale 007.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 236
  • For Sale 014.webp
    For Sale 014.webp
    79.3 KB · Views: 237
  • For Sale 020.webp
    For Sale 020.webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 240
  • For Sale 050.webp
    For Sale 050.webp
    100.3 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom