Spectra v3i

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a whites spectra v3i and was wondering if anyone had trouble with getting depth. And the other thing I'm having is the machine is signaling in the silver area on copper penny's. Saying dime instead of penny. Is my calibration off or maybe my settings are not correct. Anyone have any pointers to get better depth+accuracy.

I have recently acquired a V3i and yes its a little difficult setup until you really start learning the machine. I am constantly fighting EMI. Here is a link you can try out has a lot of information http://www.metaldetectingintheusa.com/whites-v3i-metal-detector.html You can always try burying a coin at the depth you are trying to achieve in the area where you about to hunt. Adjust the settings as necessary. Start with a stock program and if you get a little lost just restore it.

Two years I know the machine well. I'm ready to upgrade

I believe the key in depth is finding the right balance of settings for your hunting area. I modify these on a regular basis: Gain, Sensitivity (motion/non-motion), filtering and limit the discrimination.

Yes

But still hard to getting depth. I think I need a bigger coil. I'm using the dd10 right now.

I have the sef 13x15 for it. Found lots of stuff with it. Just not deeper then the dd10.

I'm just not impressed. I'm sure I'm missing targets

How hot are you running it and what programs are you using?

All programs. All different ways sens.,filters discrimination. Testing both coils in coin garden and dd10 beats 13x15 coil... Lol

All programs. All different ways sens.,filters discrimination. Testing both coils in coin garden and dd10 beats 13x15 coil... Lol

I've had a V3i since 2010, one being a full replacement from Whites. The second one was better. Pertaining to depth,,,mine still cant see a 10" quarter I buried in my yard in 2010, with hardly more than a spattering of VID and tone. It's my opinion that the V3i is overrated in depth claims. I also believe that you are indeed missing targets.

I keep swinging the V3i though. Just stubborn I guess. I've decided to blow off trying to find depth past 9 inches. I run the 8x6SEF most always and accept that I know I can find a coin at nine inches. The v3i can't see deeper for me either.

I've had a V3i since 2010, one being a full replacement from Whites. The second one was better. Pertaining to depth,,,mine still cant see a 10" quarter I buried in my yard in 2010, with hardly more than a spattering of VID and tone. It's my opinion that the V3i is overrated in depth claims. I also believe that you are indeed missing targets.

I keep swinging the V3i though. Just stubborn I guess. I've decided to blow off trying to find depth past 9 inches. I run the 8x6SEF most always and accept that I know I can find a coin at nine inches. The v3i can't see deeper for me either.

I found a 'One Thin Dime" play money coin at 11 inches in my yard, came in loud and clear. Maybe soil conditions, but I have had no problem with depth.

heavy trashy soil? Or the only target?

Try running your machine in "Loc-Trac" vs using "Auto-Trac" for a piece and see how your machine responds. I know the experts will chime in and tell you that auto GB is the way to go, but I've actually done better and found more coins with auto disabled. Coincidence? I'm not sure, but I know the results and that's repeatedly hitting the same 10'x75' trail leading from a 1700's cabin remains to the barn.

Just a wag here and I mean a complete WAG, I think the auto GB gets overwhelmed trying to differentiate good targets, iron halo and ground mineralization in its brain. Getting a good GB in target free ground and then searching takes one possible issue out of the mix.

I really don't think depth is a problem with the Spectra series at all. At least not in my soil/location. Not trying to poo poo your problem...I've been there at one point. Try Loc-Trac and see what happens. :icon_thumright:

You know it's funny you said that juice... I did that just today and noticed it was a tad bit better.

Someone on the Whites forum suggested using the auto ground balance carefully. He specifically noted in trashy areas when the detector is left of trash while you dig a target can affect the the proper ground balance.

There were bad D2 coils on some of the early V3i machines. If I remember right to check it you advance the RX gain to 15 and see if you get an overload without a target. If I have this wrong some of the other V3i users please correct me. Just another thought to check to see if it might be a coil problem. I regularly get 10 inch finds on coins, usually silver, and VDI numbers are normal on targets as indicated.

Try running your machine in "Loc-Trac" vs using "Auto-Trac" for a piece and see how your machine responds. I know the experts will chime in and tell you that auto GB is the way to go, but I've actually done better and found more coins with auto disabled. Coincidence? I'm not sure, but I know the results and that's repeatedly hitting the same 10'x75' trail leading from a 1700's cabin remains to the barn.

Just a wag here and I mean a complete WAG, I think the auto GB gets overwhelmed trying to differentiate good targets, iron halo and ground mineralization in its brain. Getting a good GB in target free ground and then searching takes one possible issue out of the mix.

I really don't think depth is a problem with the Spectra series at all. At least not in my soil/location. Not trying to poo poo your problem...I've been there at one point. Try Loc-Trac and see what happens. :icon_thumright:

I ran a V3i and VX3 for two years and I totally agree with Juice's comments about Loctrac vs. Autotrac. The V-series autotracking is just not that good, don't know why, maybe it tries to do too much. But in Autotrac, the balance point is always moving around and is usually off by at least a little and sometimes by a lot. And this is in relatively good ground like parks and schools. It seems like the Autotrac is constantly overshooting one way and the other.

After many exasperating months of following the "experts" advice to trust the Autotrac, I finally started experimenting with Loctrac and it was like the clouds parted! The only effective way to ground balance the V-series is by doing a manual ground balance in Loctrac followed by some more manual tweaking using the "Offset" control. When I started using Loctrac, I gained at least a inch or two in depth and started getting much more stable VDI's too, and all around a much better detecting experience.

I think the so-called "experts" are mostly White's yes-men who insist the detector is perfect as designed and that any problems or lack of performance are the users fault. Forget them. These "experts" are actually doing White's a disservice by trying to cover up one of the V3i's major design shortcomings and steering users who are having trouble *away* from the right solution. The V3i really needs to be run in Loctrac and the ground balance manually tweaked to get max performance. Run this way, the V3i is a very good detector.

I'm just now starting to use the locktrac more often. Before using the autotrac the best I got in depth was a quarter at almost 10". For coins and jewelry I love the V3i. I'm not convinced the prospecting mode is that great. However, with air testing using a 4x6 coil it is close to the GB2 (on bigger stuff).

I run mine mostly in autotrack but find myself checking and re balancing every 15-20 minutes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back