Spectrum XLT..zero beach....but quick copper!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep trying to use my XLT at the beach and again, even using the preprogrammed beach setting I get a lot of noise and found nothing after 10 bothersome minutes...I hate the noises and lots of pulsing too...even after a lot of rebalancing ...ughhh. But then I tried 20 minutes under some cedar trees and found a couple of old square nails....hopeful...and then an 1838 copper! Now we're talking :)! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504931232.384569.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504931250.705176.jpg
I like dirt digging and get results....but what's up with the beach? It seems sifting sand would be so much easier...although not much chance for relics I guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 14
How close are you getting to wet salty sand??
When salt and water are mixed together,, you now have a conductor. This can cause lots of falsing. You will also have to listen to a lot of chatter. I use an Excalibur by Minelab. It is submersible to 200 feet. Salt does not interfere with the Excalibur ability to find metal. Plenty of VLF machines have a beach setting but only a few can handle a SALT water beach setting.
Congrats on the LC.

Nice LC!! Well done, congrats and HH

Great coin... I love any coin made before the civil war.... I bought a Viper Trident to use at the beach and water, 2 years ago, but, never got to use it yet. The closes beach to me is 3 hours. I bet you find another one there Under Wonder.. HH

How close are you getting to wet salty sand??
When salt and water are mixed together,, you now have a conductor. This can cause lots of falsing. You will also have to listen to a lot of chatter. I use an Excalibur by Minelab. It is submersible to 200 feet. Salt does not interfere with the Excalibur ability to find metal. Plenty of VLF machines have a beach setting but only a few can handle a SALT water beach setting.
Congrats on the LC.

Thank you. I stayed way up at the very dry part at entrances to the parking area and did not even venture towards wet sand or the water even though that could yield finds. I have tried beaching it maybe 8 times and have never gotten anything but a lot of noise and a few caps and tabs. I am not really close to the beach but am close to the woods....so I guess that is why I have gravitated to relic hunting...I do wish I could get an occasional good beach hunt though.

Great coin... I love any coin made before the civil war.... I bought a Viper Trident to use at the beach and water, 2 years ago, but, never got to use it yet. The closes beach to me is 3 hours. I bet you find another one there Under Wonder.. HH

Thanks, bassman. Good luck to you when you get to the beach...maybe a vacation! I was just visiting a friend who is here for a short time, so not likely to go back until next year...but who knows? may find another one then...In any case...lots more places to try until then!I am heading to Ipswich, MA but public places there seem to be off limits so will try aunt's house and maybe someone she knows..? Anyways...I am sure to collect hickory/pignuts..They also are a lot of work but worth the effort!

Congratualtions on the LC recovery! :occasion14:

THE LC IS A FINE SITE TO SEE.

Oh man! That BIG Green LC is SWEET! Looks to have some wonderful aged GREENESS!:love10: You are finding some fabulous stuff Keep after it. I ran a DFX for several years when I first got started. Kind of similar to your XLT I think. I never tried it on any salt water but, probably got it close to some rivers and creeks. I don't recall it acting up but, it's been several years since I ran my DFX. Probably don't even remember how to use it! Beautiful coinage!:hello2:

Oh man! That BIG Green LC is SWEET! Looks to have some wonderful aged GREENESS!:love10: You are finding some fabulous stuff Keep after it. I ran a DFX for several years when I first got started. Kind of similar to your XLT I think. I never tried it on any salt water but, probably got it close to some rivers and creeks. I don't recall it acting up but, it's been several years since I ran my DFX. Probably don't even remember how to use it! Beautiful coinage!:hello2:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Is the LC abbreviation "large cent" or "large copper"? (learning the lingo). I am thankful for the good run of early (for USA) finds. I appreciate your (and others) encouragement, It is very interesting to see others' finds as well! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back