All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The only answer to that, is specific to each locale, type of soil, moisture, vegetation, etc... Like, you can be in a certain park or school turf, and develop good ideas of the stratification. For example: '40/50s losses at 4 to 5", 10s to '20s losses at 6 to 7", turn-of-century losses at 7 to 9", etc.... But the minute you move across town to some other type of situation, the rules change. I've dug reales, seateds, gold coins, etc... so shallow that I could hear them with my probe, before I even started to dig (meaning they were only 1 to 3" max). Other times, I've dug a foot deep for a clad dime or zinc ::) Dry undisturbed hard soil seems to have the shallowest coins. But moist soil (well watered turf) seems to lend itself to depth. And then disturbed soil can be anywhere inbetween. By disturbed soil, I mean plowed fields, beaches that are subject to erosion and re-filling seasonally, places that've had fill dirt added, or soil scraped away, etc...

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
also depends if the ground was tilled lately or if soil was hauled in at any point also how much rain hit the soils to let stuff sink. also hot ground cracks allowing items to fall into crevices. plant life will even move items down as the roots mix into the ground. so could be any number of reasons as to why.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
one foot a day at my sites. i just can find the gold! just kiddin'. you sound like you know the answers. soil compaction,composition,virginity,moisture, etc. i dug a wheatie at nine inches in mud. i found a large on the surface of a gravel driveway at an old parsonage. never know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions