BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

Sunday I was hunting a location that I had been to a few times. My previous hunts had produced a couple silver dimes and an IHP. After about an hour there I got a nice strong high tone. VDF was a little low for silver dime, but tone sounded good. Target ended up being a Merc less than 2 inches deep.

When I stood up to recheck the hole, there were quite a few signals that mirrored the first. I knew there was a chance I could be on to something good. By the time I was finished I had “dug” 20 Mercury dimes. All less than 2 inches deep and within a 2 foot circle.

Not in focus but you can see the “friend” just to the right.

This one was only about half an inch deep.

About 15 feet away from the dime spill was a penny spill that contained both Wheats and Memorials. Not far from that spot there was another spill where the pennies had been in rolls. I could tell there had been at least 2 rolls and there was probably more. I haven’t counted all of the Memorials, but there were 62 Wheat Cents with 3 steel and a 1909 VDB (no S). When I was extracting the rolls, they appeared to all be Memorials. Latest date I noticed was 1981. Sorry I don’t have any pics of the pennies, my phone died.

I kept hoping there would be some more silver mixed in with the pennies, but there weren’t. I thought it was strange that the Mercs had their own spill and so did the pennies. I’d sure love to know what went on at this spot.

Here is the dirty pic of everything.

Cleaned up. Wheat cents on the left with 3 steel wheats below. The single cent is the 1909.

Pic of Mercs. Oldest was 1937.

The VDB.

I honestly never believed I’d be lucky enough to find a silver spill like this. Granted, it’s only $2 face value, but I'll likely never find a better one.

Thanks for looking.
GL & HH

PS - I know they are cents, not pennies.

Last edited:
Upvote 64
That's amazing!
Any idea of the history of that particular spot - an old home place, maybe?

Congrats, that must have been a rush! :headbang:

Thanks! It was. I kinda looked around at one point and thought somebody might be playing a joke.

It's a park right now. Not sure what was there before that.

Congratulations on your awesome spills! I would venture to guess that this was a place where there was a gathering like a family reunion. And the coins were intended for either a penny scramble in a straw pile or a friendly family poker game. Those are things I remember from my younger days.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Or possibly a small carnival, though the specific location would make that doubtful.

That's a whole pile of digging coinage, congrats on the silver.

I actually had to take a break while digging and go get something to drink. Luckily the pennies were coming out in handfuls. No way I could have dug all those one at a time.

Congratulations Bill!

That is absolutely awesome. That is the spill of a lifetime. You've done well this year.

Thank you sir. I've been pretty lucky this year to get on a few hot spots. Already blew past my silver total of last year.

Now I just need to find some gold. Not found any gold in about 2 1/2 years.

15 X 2 dollar face value of 90 percent junk silver = about $30 market value, nice haul!

Thanks! My wife asked if I actually paid for my gas this time. (I did!) :laughing7:

Wow!!! Great find! How long did it take recovering all that?

I think it was around an hour and a half. But I did take a break to go get a drink. The dimes took about 20 minutes I would guess. I think I only nicked one of them which was pretty good considering how close some of them were to each other. lol

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond and the kind words.

GL & HH
Bill

What a blast it must have been! Congratulations on finding such an excellent coin spill!

WOW! That had to be a real blast recovering all those Mercs. Ya' just never understand how some of these coins get where they were or in such numbers. Glad your coil made it over these beauties.

Excellent pile of silver. Makes you wonder who lost it and how.
I'll bet they were not happy about that at all. 2 bucks bought way more back then than it does now...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back