What's new

Splash proofed my Sovereign GT

Diggin Dave

Full Member
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
184
Reaction score
82
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (Waterproofed)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Waterproofed Sovereign GT

I decided to give some added protection to my Sov GT. I had a couple of close calls in the surf this Summer while having it hip mounted. With my new set up I have the control box enclosed in a water tight Plano box, and held in a back pack. This will allow me to go out in the surf further and not worry about frying my detector. I have a total of $41.00 invested, cheap insurance. Thanks to a few of our forum members for sharing their designs (OBN, Max). Hopefully this can help someone else looking to do the same thing. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • image-3233579696.webp
    image-3233579696.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 353
  • image-1715427091.webp
    image-1715427091.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 263
  • image-927299411.webp
    image-927299411.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 269
  • image-3398840948.webp
    image-3398840948.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 276
  • image-3940243445.webp
    image-3940243445.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 255
  • image-2593474181.webp
    image-2593474181.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 273
  • image-3334383679.webp
    image-3334383679.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 205
  • image-3349744766.webp
    image-3349744766.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 166
  • image-2876800570.webp
    image-2876800570.webp
    31.7 KB · Views: 195
  • image-1669361994.webp
    image-1669361994.webp
    48 KB · Views: 207
  • image-1601514467.webp
    image-1601514467.webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 174
  • image-1914062830.webp
    image-1914062830.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Upvote 0
You did a terrific job on that project, Dave!:headbang:


Lorraine
 
Good job I like it. Thanks for sharing.
 
Dag there goes all the Gold In OC.....Nice job Dave!!
 
I jammed mine in a plano box too. Ups...water proof to more then just a dip. Cons? Heavy, and adjusting controls is a project. Costs lots of time, and can hurt your day. Bottom line, crank sensitivity as high as you can. And just go. I hope minelab makes a fbs dive machine soon, soon.
 
Great looking setup! I like it as well.
 
I love that, gonna see if I can get me one made for my gt. great looking idea and so neat as well. thanks for sharing.
 
That's funny Joe. I'm gonna hit it hard on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday morning, with no distractions. Hopefully I'll have something to show!
 
I did mine too, and it is more than splash proof. I used two clams, one for the coil, and the other for headphones. Just a FYI, the bend you have in your coil cable will end up breaking the cable or at least it broke mine. I'm going to build another one and it will have the coil cable coming straight in!.
 
Last edited:
I did mine too, and it is more than splash proof. I used two clams, one for the coil, and the other for headphones. Just a FYI, the bend you have in your coil cable will end up breaking the cable or at least it broke mine. I'm going to build another one and it will have the coil cable coming straight in!.

Hi OTS, I hear what you're saying. There is a fair amount of pressure on the cable where it turns 90° in the box. That concerned me to the point where I've already ordered a new box, a Pelican 1170 waterproof case. It is also is a more durable case and the dimensions will allow me to run the coil cable straight in. I hunted a few days with my current setup and what a relief it was not having to worry about getting splashed. I'll post a pic once I get the new box configured.
 
Look forward to seeing it!
 
Ive been using the same box with two clams for a year.....works great and not a problem yet.
 
So this is the new, and as for now, final version. I didn't like the pressure put on the coil cable when using the Plano box. The cable had to turn 90° and was jammed into the end of the box. I was worried about potential breakage in the cable over time with all of that pressure. I started searching for other types of water tight boxes and found one with the dimensions and weight I was looking for. I chose the Pelican 1170 box, weighing in at 2 pounds. It did need some small alterations to work the way I wanted it too, running the cables in through the side of the box. To get the cable clam, Blue Sea (pn1002), to seal properly I had to carefully dremel away some material from the box, and leave enough to not affect the seal. I ground it down to about an 1/8" from the top edge of the box (sealing surface) at the narrowest point, following the outline of the clam. I checked the the seal under water and it was not affected by the alteration, no leaks. I could've mounted the clam to the underside of the box and saved myself a lot of trouble, but I wanted the cable to run straight in and not be bound up in any way. I strain relieved the coil and headphone cables to the handle of the box so I didn't have to leave a loom of cable on the inside. A much cleaner look, and the flexibility in the cables allows me easy access to the control box. This job also could've been easier had I moved up to the next largest Pelican box, the 1200. I wouldn't have had to do any cutting on the box. But the trade off is the size and weight. The 1200 weighs twice as much, 4 pounds, so I opted for the lighter less bulky box. I then custom cut the foam insert, and it's a nice tight fit with no movement in the control box. My detector is now surf ready and I'm just waiting for some time off work to use it. Good luck and stay safe everyone, thanks for looking.
 
Can you explain what were looking at in the pics, for those of us who have no idea.
 
I was waiting on the finished product, you did not disappoint, it turned out great, nice and clean. I will be remaking mine soon, though I dought as sharp as yours. Now go get it wet and post some fines! HH
 
Can you explain what were looking at in the pics, for those of us who have no idea.

The pictures are showing the steps I took in making two different watertight housings for my not so waterproof Sov GT.
 
I was waiting on the finished product, you did not disappoint, it turned out great, nice and clean. I will be remaking mine soon, though I dought as sharp as yours. Now go get it wet and post some fines! HH

Thanks OTS, I know I'll be happy with the latest. I can't wait to see what you're gonna do with your's.

Dave
 
What is the sliver round thing with the hole in the center? Is it some sort of water proof seal purchased at a store? what makes the wire entrances water proof?
 
What is the sliver round thing with the hole in the center? Is it some sort of water proof seal purchased at a store? what makes the wire entrances water proof?

Willey that's a cable clam, made by Blue Sea Systems. It's a waterproof connector that you can run cables through without removing the ends of your cables. They are run through a rubber insert in the clam and when tightened make a watertight connection.
 
Willey that's a cable clam, made by Blue Sea Systems. It's a waterproof connector that you can run cables through without removing the ends of your cables. They are run through a rubber insert in the clam and when tightened make a watertight connection.
what is the yellow plate?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom