What's new

Spoon Help.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Anyone know if I should try to clean this spoon. How old do you think it is. Seems like silver. I dug it in a park in Boston. My first large spoon.
Ty
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0283.webp
    IMG_0283.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0280.webp
    IMG_0280.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0281.webp
    IMG_0281.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0282.webp
    IMG_0282.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0279.webp
    IMG_0279.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 324
Personaly, I don't think its silver. However, You could take a toothbrush with warm soap water and clean the "shaft" on the back side towards the bottom where the handle connects to the spoon where there should be a makers mark. That would held trmendously with orrigin and age. I'm saying late 1920's-40's Congrats on the first spoon find!
 
Upvote 0
Not silver & not too old, 50 year :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
relichunters said:
It's not silver, if it was it'd be silver.

:D Can I quote you
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
It's his first spoon guys..

first large spoon, might have had lots of small ones.... :wink:
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
Personaly, I don't think its silver. However, You could take a toothbrush with warm soap water and clean the "shaft" on the back side towards the bottom where the handle connects to the spoon where there should be a makers mark. That would held trmendously with orrigin and age. I'm saying late 1920's-40's Congrats on the first spoon find!
Clean this spot and look for makers marks and we will ID it for you. It may be Nickle Silver.
 

Attachments

  • spoon.webp
    spoon.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 0
It looks like brass that was once silver plated . Checking that area BigCy pointed out would be good !
 
Upvote 0
I have found one other spoon and it was small ;D. I washed the back area and there is no markings. Is it common that some spoons have no marking? Should I run it through the electrolysis machine? What do you guys do with your big spoons ???.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
welcome and silver does not tarnish or rust or corrode
it just turns black... :wink:
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
aah.. whoops, guess i didn't mean to say "tarnish". what i meant to say is "why won't silver hurry up and go to $20.00"
Now that we are on the subject of silver, I heard that before the Industrial Age of pollution, silver did not tarnish like it does today. I dont know how true it is.
 
Upvote 0
go to garage and plug in bench grinder and have at it with the coarse wheel then use the wire wheel NO JUST KIDDING i agree with hot water medium tooth brush and dawn liquid dish soap oh yeah dont let the significant other catch you cleaning dirty md finds in the kitchen sink eeeeeeeewwwww is what i hear most of the time
 
Upvote 0
mile-ender said:
When you see 'em in museums they look pretty much like the one you're holding.
I like the idea of displaying it as is. All this disussion about spoons has made me look at the other two spoons I have found and relized one of my spoons I had dug out of the ocean has an image on teh handle. I am going to post it next. Thanks for all the suggestions.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom