RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello fellas, today I present to you a mystery.

I went metal detecting yesterday on my 8th great grandfathers property, where he bult a stone house in the 1750s. After searching for a couple hours with my Equinox, I had recovered nearly a dozen roundballs, and this bell. Here's a link to the original thread if y'all want to see it.

DSC_0957.jpg
DSC_0958.jpg
DSC_0959.jpg
DSC_0960.jpg

At first, I didn't know what this was made of. After a while, I finally figured that it is made out of Tombac. If you look closely, you can see "lines" or lathe marks going around the bell. It appears to be almost home made, judging by the imperfections. This was found on the edge of a cornfield I was searching, next to a tree line.

I didn't think that this was old, but now after examining the imperfections, and knowing that this is tombac, could this be older than I thought?

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures online I found of Tombac objects, almost none have that hue. It looks more steel or copper to me. Maybe from an antique set of horse sleigh bells?
$_1.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The pictures online I found of Tombac objects, almost none have that hue. It looks more steel or copper to me.

I see what you mean, but it isn't copper, and it's too soft to be steel.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One more time, because some people have forgotten seeing me say it previously many times.

Tombac is a brass alloy which contains approximately 85% copper with 15% zinc. Its color is more "golden" than the yellow color of typical brass, which is 60-75% copper with the remainder being zinc. Canada made Tombac 5-cent coins during World War 2. See the color in the photos of a couple of uncirculated ones, attached below.

Many people do not know that there is another variety of Tombac, called "White Tombac." Like normal Tombac it contains about 85% copper with the rest being zinc, EXCEPT for the addition of 1% metallic Arsenic. Strangely, the Arsenic 1% is enough to change the alloy's color drastically, to a "silverish" tone.

Also kinda strangely, most White Tombac buttons come out of the ground very nearly still shiny, with almost no patina-buildup at all, because the 1% presence of Arsenic in them seems to kill the microorganisms which help form the patina we typically see on excavated copper-&-zinc alloy relics.

When not excavated, and highly polished, White Tombac looks like what you see in the photo of a Romanian "Vlad Teppes" 1998 commemorative coin, attached below.

The professional archeologists who call the Colonial Era silver-ish "spun back" 1-piece buttons "Tombac buttons" are metallurgically ignorant. In actuality, those buttons are made of White Tombac.

Attachments

• coin_1942Canada5cent_Tombac_20220614-2.jpg
    coin_1942Canada5cent_Tombac_20220614-2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 23
  • coin_1943Canada5cent_Tombac_20220614-1.jpg
    coin_1943Canada5cent_Tombac_20220614-1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 24
  • coin_White-Tombac_Romania_VladTepesCoin-1998_RomaniaTombac.jpg
    coin_White-Tombac_Romania_VladTepesCoin-1998_RomaniaTombac.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Upvote 8
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One more time, because some people have forgotten seeing me say it previously many times.

Tombac is a brass alloy which contains approximately 85% copper with 15% zinc. Its color is more "golden" than the yellow color of typical brass, which is 60-75% copper with the remainder being zinc. Canada made Tombac 5-cent coins during World War 2. See the color in the photos of a couple of uncirculated ones, attached below.

Many people do not know that there is another variety of Tombac, called "White Tombac. Like normal Tombac is contains about 85% copper with the rest being zinc, EXCEPT for the addition of 1% metallic Arsenic. Strangely, the Arsenic 1% is enough to change the alloy's color drastically, to a "silverish" tone.

Also kinda strangely, most White Tombac buttons come out of the ground very nearly still shiny, with almost no patina-buildup at all, because the 1% presence of Arsenic in them seems to kill the microorganisms which help form the patina we typically see on excavated copper-&-zinc alloy relics.

When not excavated, and highly polished, White Tombac looks like what you see in the photo of a Romanian "Vlad Teppes" 1998 commemorative coin, attached below.

The professional archeologists who call the Colonial Era silver-ish "spun back" 1-piece buttons "Tombac buttons" are metallurgically ignorant. In actuality, those buttons are made of White Tombac.

So my bell is arsenic tainted. Interesting... lol

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So my bell is arsenic tainted. Interesting... lol
It won't hurt you. Lol
Another example is:
Your shell brass is a 70/30 (70% copper/30% zinc)brass, same as a pocket watch case, brass zipper pull.

Adding one element like arsenic can alter the composition so it will be more resilient to environmental damage.

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RustyRelics asked:
> I didn't think that this was old, but now after examining the imperfections, and knowing that this is tombac, could this be older than I thought?

Pardon me for overlooking the question you asked at the very end of your lengthy post. The answer is Yes. Your White-Tombac crotal (horse-harness) bell is from the Colonial Era into the early-1800s.

Upvote 3

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 2
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RustyRelics asked:
> I didn't think that this was old, but now after examining the imperfections, and knowing that this is tombac, could this be older than I thought?

Pardon me for overlooking the question you asked at the very end of your lengthy post. The answer is Yes. Your White-Tombac crotal (horse-harness) bell is from the Colonial Era into the early-1800s.

Thank you very much for your input!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread