Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a chance to search 2 different yards..the homes were built in the 1920's..I found one of these in each yard. Does anyone know anything about them?

TOKENS.jpg

Thanks
Nat

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
This has been attributed by some as a Herrin, Illinois sales tax token. Others have suggested that it was struck as a stock (generic) tax token or as some sort of pattern or sample. Nobody really knows. At any rate, it's listed in Malehorn & Davenport's United States Sales Tax Tokens and Stamps and assigned a rarity rating of R4 (on a scale of 1-10): no more than 500 known, and considered scarce.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I was just going to reply that the only "square" tokens I could google was the Ill Tax token. But, they are very different and I cannot see how someone could mix them up! At least with these 1930's examples I found on e-bay.

Attachments

• 34_1_b[1].jpg
    34_1_b[1].jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Agreed, Jim. However, note that the Malehorn & Davenport listing states they have been attributed to the city of Herrin, Illinois— not as state tax tokens.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
PBK said:
Agreed, Jim. However, note that the Malehorn & Davenport listing states they have been attributed to the city of Herrin, Illinois— not as state tax tokens.

:-\... I can't note that... I dont have a copy of Malehorn & Davenport! ;D :D But I do trust your say-so so I'll say: "okay".

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread