What's new

St. Petersburg, FL. beach

Crunchyhippo

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
292
Reaction score
612
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
I ran into a fellow detector the other day at Clearwater who was detecting in the surf/wet sand. He had already walked about two miles and said he had only found two cheap earrings, with the rest being a bit of trash. Even when I go in the water there, I get almost no signals, but it's tough since the water is always so rough here. Anyway, I was wondering for those who've been there if St. Pete beach might have more signals to go after, or if gold/silver is found there much?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I ran into a fellow detector the other day at Clearwater who was detecting in the surf/wet sand. He had already walked about two miles and said he had only found two cheap earrings, with the rest being a bit of trash. Even when I go in the water there, I get almost no signals, but it's tough since the water is always so rough here. I don't get how these Youtube detectorists can go to a beach and seemingly get dozens of signals to dig in the water, with many of them gold and silver items. I've found 1 small silver item and zero gold-anything in 37 beach trips.
Planted for the youtube videos. Thats why I dont watch them and dont really care for any of them.

Anthony
 
Last edited:
Planted for the youtube videos. Thats why I dont watch them and dont really care for any of them.

Anthony
I agree, I've lived in Florida all my life and detected most beaches and when I see fellows posting about all the gold and silver they found at the Florida beaches makes me suspect they raided their wife's jewelry box. Then again, could just be jealousy on my part because I rarely have ever found jewelry at any of our beaches.
 
I agree, I've lived in Florida all my life and detected most beaches and when I see fellows posting about all the gold and silver they found at the Florida beaches makes me suspect they raided their wife's jewelry box. Then again, could just be jealousy on my part because I rarely have ever found jewelry at any of our beaches.
I once saw a vid where on this one beach trip, a guy allegedly found 15 rings(!) Rather than just comment that he was a bald-faced liar (especially since I've only found five in 37 trips), I just blocked him. Sneaking jewelry into detecting videos is the easiest thing in the world to do, so now I'm dubious of all of them.
 
It's the same with the artifact video's. I've been searching for 60 years and have a decent collection. Still the ratio of broken points vs whole ones is about 90% brokes. On the video's they find several each trip and most points are whole and perfect. So either fancy editing or planting artifacts or both.
 
It's the same with the artifact video's. I've been searching for 60 years and have a decent collection. Still the ratio of broken points vs whole ones is about 90% brokes. On the video's they find several each trip and most points are whole and perfect. So either fancy editing or planting artifacts or both.
The sad thing about the youtube creator and other social media creators is they are typically fully funded by the manufacturers. So make a video, plant a find, get a new subscriber to watch and get fooled into every hunt has a glorious find, get that subscriber to buy from the manufacturer and then that manufacturer pays you or give you new top of the line gear. Then theres dummies like me that have been detecting for 50 years. Buy the Manticore as soon as it comes out - $1799, new M8 coil comes out - $300, new M9 coil comes out - $300. New M15 coil comes out - No more money. Minelab creates promo - get Manticore and all three coils for less then what I paid for detector and two coils.

Anthony
 
Clearwater beach is one of the most hunted beaches in the World! It is especially bad in the Winter months when few people are on the beach and fewer still in the water. And, yes, many times after a 5 hr WATER hunt I've come away with 4 or 5 coins; that is it! In fact, more than a few times I'd check my detector to see if it is actually working because things are sooo quiet. Sometimes it is better to hunt dry sand than water.
As for Youtube videos, I never bother. As said earlier, it is too easy to plant good targets and then SURPISE what a find. BS BS BS!!!
Also take with a grain of salt MD finds from Newbies posting great finds...the jewery seems sooo shiney to be a true find.
 
I ran into a fellow detector the other day at Clearwater who was detecting in the surf/wet sand. He had already walked about two miles and said he had only found two cheap earrings, with the rest being a bit of trash. Even when I go in the water there, I get almost no signals, but it's tough since the water is always so rough here. Anyway, I was wondering for those who've been there if St. Pete beach might have more signals to go after, or if gold/silver is found there much?
I can't speak to beaches in FL, as I hunt in MD & DE, but since you mentioned running into another detectorist, just wanted to mention something that you should keep in the back of your mind. If you don't know the other detectorist or haven't run into him before, spoken with him, etc., I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. He may have a couple gold rings in his pouch but if he doesn't know you, never seen you before, I think it would be highly unlikely that he would tell you about the cheddar he found.

I wouldn't advertise that I found 2 or 3 gold rings if I didn't know the guy. I'd probably say I found the "usual", some clad and lots of trash. But I wouldn't mention any rings, old coins, or anything remotely valuable. If I knew the guy, i.e., ran into him numerous times on the same beach, hunted together, spoke with him several times, etc., then I might tell him, depending on if we've developed any type of trusting relationship. But if I don't know the guy, or if a typical beach goer comes up and asks if I found anything, my answer is always the same. I'll say something like "yeah, lots of trash and a few clad coins, and if I keep going at this pace, in a week or two I may have enough to buy a cup of coffee at McDonald's".
 
Clearwater beach is one of the most hunted beaches in the World! It is especially bad in the Winter months when few people are on the beach and fewer still in the water. And, yes, many times after a 5 hr WATER hunt I've come away with 4 or 5 coins; that is it! In fact, more than a few times I'd check my detector to see if it is actually working because things are sooo quiet. Sometimes it is better to hunt dry sand than water.
As for Youtube videos, I never bother. As said earlier, it is too easy to plant good targets and then SURPISE what a find. BS BS BS!!!
Also take with a grain of salt MD finds from Newbies posting great finds...the jewery seems sooo shiney to be a true find.
Yeah, that happened to me yesterday. After hunting in the water at Clearwater Beach for 30 minutes and getting zero signals, I had to check my detector against my scoop to make sure it was working. I finally gave up and went to the surf/wet sand. No luck there, either. 42 beach trips now; zero gold, 1 silver trinket. If it's this bad right at the end of the busy season, what's it gonna be like in the cold months?
 
Yeah, that happened to me yesterday. After hunting in the water at Clearwater Beach for 30 minutes and getting zero signals, I had to check my detector against my scoop to make sure it was working. I finally gave up and went to the surf/wet sand. No luck there, either. 42 beach trips now; zero gold, 1 silver trinket. If it's this bad right at the end of the busy season, what's it gonna be like in the cold months?
Hunting during the cold months may surprise you. Of course, your "colder" months in FL are a lot different that my colder months in MD & DE, so your mileage may vary. But here's a few of my reasons why I love beach hunting my area in the Fall & Winter:

1. None, or very reduced competition. Lots of competition you saw during summer may have been there because they were on vacation, but now they're gone. Locals may or may not want to be out hunting in the cold, but as it's been said, "fortune favors the bold". The vast majority of times I was the only guy detecting, the only other people I saw would be walking their dog or taking a stroll looking for seashells. It's very quiet and tranquil hunting when there's nobody else around. And when it's quiet, you can hear a lot more than you could during summer.

2. Less trash. Sure, there's still gonna be some trash, but with the crowds of people who were dropping trash daily during the summer now gone, there will be a lot less trash to deal with. And every piece of trash you take with you is one less piece you'll find tomorrow. Plus, a lot of the competition will have found & removed trash as well. But in colder months, we no longer think recent drops, we're now thinking DEEP.

3. Winter Storms! Yeah buddy, Fall & Winter is when we get Hurricanes, Nor'easters, strong winds & other types of storms. A beach can never be "worked out", because it changes constantly. Cheddar that's been buried further out under water can be thrown up onto the dry or wet with the next storm. Cheddar that's been hiding deep in the dry can now be within range when a storm strips off a couple feet of sand. Cuts, bowls, and troughs form, and they're always the first areas I search. BTW, Terry Shannon, who hunts FL's treasure coast, mentioned that at one bowl he hunted, he pulled 12 rings, and 5 were gold, all from that one bowl. Just saying...

4. Fall/Winter is the time to go as deep as possible, i.e., crank up your detectors sensitivity as high as you can while retaining some stability when working the dry, work in all metal, pick a section of the beach and work it in a grid, hitting every square inch of sand by searching methodically and making sure you overlap every sweep. When you're done, search it again in a 90-degree direction. So, if you started the grid working W to E, then grid again working N to S. Listen for faint whisper tones that indicate deeper targets. Most guys walked over these during summer. They may have been out of range of their detector, but more than likely, they just didn't hear them due to all the beach noise you hear during summer. But in Fall/Winter, less or no other people means that you'll be able to hear a lot more than you could during the summer.

5, PI time. I recently acquired my first PI after 56 years, and Fall/Winter is exactly the time I want to take my PI to the beach to hit the dry, and of course, the wet & shallow water. But during summer, running a PI in the dry would cause a guy to lose his mind with all the trash. But in colder months, with no trash being deposited every day, I'll be cranking up my PI's sensitivity as high as I can while remaining fairly stable and hitting the dry, listening for those faint whisper tones that indicate very deep targets. Those still may be trash. But they may also be cheddar that's buried so deep that nobody else was able to detect.

There's probably more reasons, others may chime in with theirs, but there's a LOT of benefits to hunting the beach during the colder months.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom