Stage Coach Maps

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
froggy, wow very nice site and some good info. thanks much for sharing with us.
take care and be safe out there. ron

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
froggy said:
Although this site is a good overview, the information given for the Butterfield Stage Stations in Arizona is largely erroneous. I do not know about the lists accuracy for the other states. It is being discovered that the information in the Conklings (which he uses for a reference) book was based on much deductive reasoning and taking the word of old-timers. This has led many historians astray. Many, such as Wikipedia, which is mostly erroneous on the subject, has taken some of their information from Postmaster inspector Brown's report which reports seventeen stations in Arizona and spelled some of the names incorrectly. It must remembered that in Butterfield's rush to establish the line that he got a minimal amount done to fulfill the contract, but within the next six months he built nine more stations in Arizona. This is left out in most lists.

Gerry

Gork

Dec 13, 2004

You will note that this site is slowly being transfered to another and this one will be deleted in the next month. I have been working with the fellow who has the site to correct the many erroneous stations listed for Arizona. He has updated his new site with my info for the correct stations in Arizona. I cannot speak for the other states. The stations for Arizona now listed are docmumented in my new book The Butterfield Trail and Overland Mail Company in Arizona, 1858-1861. I have been working with the researcher for the National Park Service for the past 1 1/2 years and they have them listed according to my info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread